A "Black Hole" Occurs When I Try To Create/Load A Game

helium3
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I will try to make this as concise as possible.

I was participating in the alpha and have switched back and forth between the alpha and live versions a couple of times in the last few weeks.

This morning, I switched back to live to look at something.

When I attempted to switch back to the alpha I found that I was no longer able to update the game to the alpha version. I asked around on the ONI discord and apparently the alpha ended this morning.

That would be fine, except now I'm unable to play the game at all.

I start the game and then, whether I select New Game or Load Game, I get a "black hole" error. 

Specifically, the error that seems to be occurring is "Assert failed: subworlds/barren/LargeChasmStart (subworld) referenced a missing biome named biomes/Forest/Chasm"

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the game at this point and the error is still persisting.

I also deleted all my save files (don't worry, I've been committing them my repo in github since January) and that didn't help at all.

I was able to report the crash within the game but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

Presumably this will all be fixed when I'm able to purchase and download the DLC tomorrow.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Participate in the alpha.
  2. Revert to the live version of the game around the same time that the alpha closes.
  3. Attempt to play the game.

User Feedback

Reinstalling should fix this problem so I recommend trying it again. After you uninstall check to see if the files here have been removed before reinstalling. Try verifying the integrity of the game files if that doesn't work.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OxygenNotIncluded\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen

Note that the log file has changed, it's now called Player.Log.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

It looks like the problem was related to local files that were left behind by Steam after I uninstalled the game. I manually deleted those files, reinstalled and now it looks like the game is working again.

Share this comment

Same problem, same solution!

After uninstalling the game I had to delete some leftover files in the steamapps/common/OxygenNotIncluded folder and was good to go!

Share this comment

This happened to me too. I also participated in the Alpha. I just bought the DLC to fix it but game still crashes. 

Does uninstalling/reinstalling the game remove the save files/pre-alpha worlds too or would it just be there because of the cloud feature recently? Haven't uninstalled any games on Steam so I don't know. Should I keep a backup of a world I want to keep first? Thank you so much!

Edited by leelah121

Share this comment

1 hour ago, leelah121 said:

This happened to me too. I also participated in the Alpha. I just bought the DLC to fix it but game still crashes. 

Does uninstalling/reinstalling the game remove the save files/pre-alpha worlds too or would it just be there because of the cloud feature recently? Haven't uninstalled any games on Steam so I don't know. Should I keep a backup of a world I want to keep first? Thank you so much!

Saves are stored in Documents/Klei/OxygenNotIncluded, which is not removed when the game is uninstalled. You can make a backup before uninstalling if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment