4K UI Research Menu Scaling

xantar2482
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

Date:  7/12/2019 @ 2210 CST

ASUS PB287Q 4k (3840 * 2160) @ 60Hz

GeForce 970x Windforce display port

ONI preview build LU-351503

I don't know what else you need... just let me know.  This is as far out as I can zoom.

20190712200418_1.thumb.jpg.3a04739de2fe76f70cf178d0feb7b348.jpg20190712200420_1.thumb.jpg.208ffc03a1d985689e9c595d5bd6b7c1.jpg20190712200408_1.thumb.jpg.5828e97e9dc7765cea16a9a58c90efcf.jpg20190712200420_1.thumb.jpg.6f2518e3960632e1cf58496e2bb1023d.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
I don't know... Develop on 4k monitors?
  • Like 6

User Feedback

Same thing happens to me in 4K resolution. Increasing the UI makes the icons bigger, but the icons becomes much bigger than the UI scaling indicates, like 200% will not just double the size.

My guess is that the code (which I haven't looked at this time) will increase the icons/boxes and modify the max zoom out level to allow looking at the same amount of tech tree. However the zoom level is reversed meaning upscaled UI will zoom in instead of out.

Share this comment

I made a new forum post in recommendations recently and was given a link to this bug submission, so I would like to corroborate this issue here as well. Here is my original post:

"I love we can now use wasd to scroll around the research screen, but for me it is now zoomed in very close even at the furthest I can zoom out with the mouse wheel. I believe this is linked to the UI scaling option in graphics settings. I am displaying the game at 4k resolution and to get a more reasonable view of the research screen I must reduce UI scaling down to about 80%, which then makes the rest of the game's UI too small. I believe increasing the range of zooming on the research screen will fix the problem."

• Like 1

Share this comment

I'd like to throw my 2c in here as well.

When I toggle my monitor over to 1920x1080, research screen is usable. When I switch to 4k, I tend to have 150% UI scaling, so it's 50% larger [could go bigger, but I find this perfectly serviceable, and it lets me see a lot more resources if I feel the need to display how much of what I've got available].

Even at 150% the research tree is zoomed in at least as much as shown in the screenshots by xantar.

Note: This is a new(ish) issue. Not sure if it's launch-build or slightly older, but I know I played on the same 4k monitor with the same 150% UI scaling back in May/June and I could pretty much see the entire research tree at once, or with just a tiny bit of scrolling up/down & left/right, which was handy for checking what I've researched / what I want to research next. Now to get from meal preparation to lighting, I have to scroll down like 7 screens-worth of super zoomed in tech. It works, and I can deal with it, but I really liked the zoom levels we had before :)

Share this comment

I run at 4k, with the UI scaled up to about 150%.

This used to not be an issue. But the Launch Upgrade branch the Research UI panel is extremely zoomed in. This is new behavior. 

If you set the UI scaling in the graphics menu to 75% the Research menu is much more readable.  However all the other buttons in the main game ui are too small at 4k.  

It seems that the UI scale us being applied to the Research UI, where it was not before.

Share this comment

I can confirm. 4K with UI scaling zooms in the research screen on the Launch branch, this was not an issue on the stable branch.

Share this comment

I have the same issue. 4k with UI scaling. The problem goes away if I set UI scale back to 100%. Little annoying have to keep switching.

• Like 1

Share this comment