Unreasonable routing with coffee buff when building Stonewall/Haywall

Amberboss
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Known Issue

Mods used:

Action Queue Plus, Combine Status, Display Food Values, Geometric Placement, Health Info, Minimap HUD, Volcano eruption prediction

Game Version:

189297 WIN32_STEAM

Issue:

Coffee buff causes bad routing in SW/ROG worlds.

When you have coffee buff on your character, the routing system sometimes works in unreasonable way. For example, When Wilson was building a rectangle stonewall. At the corner, he would not find a correct way to walk to the location where I let him place a stonewall at the corner. Instead, he would turn up and down again and again without doing anything.

This issue is pretty annoying since it can waste lots of time building walls when you have coffee buff. I have to let Wilson walk to detination manually before command him to place a stonewall.

2. epilepsy.png

Steps to Reproduce
1. Start with a SW world 2. Drink coffee 3. build a rectangle wall with stonewall/haywall

User Feedback

This could be due to a mods maybe? I was not able to get a strange path-finding effect when I hepped Wilson up on Coffee, used a cane and then made a rectangular wall enclosure. 

Share this comment

On 9/7/2016 at 8:43 PM, Jason said:

This could be due to a mods maybe? I was not able to get a strange path-finding effect when I hepped Wilson up on Coffee, used a cane and then made a rectangular wall enclosure. 

Hi Jason,

Please watch my Video, This is how i reproduced this bug:

I am only using 4 mods that display values(statement, food value, health, volcano prediction), and geometric placement.

Edited by Amberboss

Share this comment

On 9/7/2016 at 8:43 PM, Jason said:

Hi Jason,

Please try to reproduce this bug also.

I turned off MODs and tested it with Rev.190 today and this still happens inside volcano.  (it rarely happens outside volcano)

Ref 2 videos above.

Share this comment

17 minutes ago, Amberboss said:

Hi Jason,

Please try to reproduce this bug also.

I turned off MODs and tested it with Rev.190 today and this still happens inside volcano.  (it rarely happens outside volcano)

Make sure to Equip a Walking Cane, and drink Coffee before building walls.

Ref another videos below.

Edited by Amberboss

Share this comment

Hey, so I was able to reproduce this effect.

Unfortunately, after looking into the code of the pathfinder, this would require quite a big change. At this point, the risk of worse bugs being introduced is too high to fix for just this problem, since it can just be recovered from so easily.

Sorry that will be a bit disappointing for you. But thank you again for your help with this and other bugs you've brought up. 

Share this comment

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Changed Status to Known Issue

No problem, Jason. Thank you anyway.

I am just curious about why this is happening. It seems to me that this only happens when your character reaches high MS (volcano biome+walking cane+coffee). Even without equipping the walking cane, the chance to reproduce will be substantially decreased.

Share this comment

Pathfinding usually includes some kind of heuristic, which is like simulating a guess, to help it along.  The very common A* pathfinding for example takes a guess at how far two points are apart by just adding the flat horizontal and vertical distances together. It uses that to just get started, something to compare things to to see if possible movement paths are getting closer to the destination or not. 

If the actual movement of the object ended up being quite different than the guessed movement, it might confuse the pathfinding code a bunch. In SW, you can move pretty fast with the cane and coffee, etc.. that might be exceeding what the original DS pathfinding code ever thought would be possible and therefore create some weird edge cases of movement. 

Share this comment

On 9/22/2016 at 6:57 PM, Jason said:

If the actual movement of the object ended up being quite different than the guessed movement, it might confuse the pathfinding code a bunch. In SW, you can move pretty fast with the cane and coffee, etc.. that might be exceeding what the original DS pathfinding code ever thought would be possible and therefore create some weird edge cases of movement. 

So does this mean that the path finding code keeps working on a heuristic search while Wilson is moving ahead? That's why he turns around again and again. Why wouldn't decrease the search intervel (on time)? because i feel like if you decrease the interval by 30% that would help a lot.  (Just a guess, don't laugh at me)

Share this comment

Heh, no worries. The issue here isn't that there is no solution. It's that any solution has a high risk factor of adding bugs somewhere else. For example, a change that fixes this (which could be similar to your suggestion) could mean it takes the pathfinder longer to find routes (as an example) causing other unintended problems.

Share this comment