Overheating in Mild Season

SavanahHolland
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

Alright so the issue I have is that I'm constantly overheating in mild season when I know based on asking friends that it's not supposed to do that at all. I'm not near fires, don't have any obsidian tools, none of that. And when I play I usually make an active effort to keep cool such as using items like a straw hat and tropical parasol. Due to the overheating starting at such an early point in the game- you have at most three days to prepare, and that is no way enough so I end up dying on day eight or just stopping that game slot due to not having fun, since you really can't do anything when constantly stressing over overheating. 

Steps to Reproduce
I don't know, just play, admittedly I do have a few mods, but they're the same mods everyone else uses and they don't have the problem?

User Feedback

I had this recently when messing around in a world with all seasons apart from Mild disabled, and some other changed settings (Dusk/Night disabled, no Volcano eruptions, no nasty mobs, etc.)

Do you change any world settings for your games?

Share this comment

I have the same problem. I only have a few mods installed, and none of them have to do with weather/heat/season to do. It makes it lethal to cook food on a fire, even during night. Really hoping this bug can be fixed soon since I just bought shipwrecked a few days ago

Share this comment

On 11/15/2016 at 5:54 AM, Rinta said:

I had this recently when messing around in a world with all seasons apart from Mild disabled, and some other changed settings (Dusk/Night disabled, no Volcano eruptions, no nasty mobs, etc.)

Do you change any world settings for your games?

Mhm, nothing major really- usually turn bad mobs to low and the ship wrecked equivalent of hounds all the way off since they stress me waaaaay too much lol 

Share this comment

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for this being a little Thread Necromancy, but this is the most recent post I've seen detailing this issue and I believe I've found the cause. Posting here makes the most sense to me, as it appears directly related to my issue, and posting should bring it to everyone's attention who posted here as well as providing more info for the Devs.

Moderators: if this should be its own post, I sincerely apologize. Work your magic and split it off.

If I haven't found the cause, then at least a cause. And reporting it here may help Our Glorious Developer OverlordsTM (;)) to track it down.

The exact issue is that Mild Season appears to be overwritten by RoG Summer Season: Overheating occurs no later than Day 3, and I see evidence of plant wilting also. I expect that Wildfires would occur, but they don't exist in SW so at least no islands were bursting into flames. :D After confirming that there had been no changes I could find to Mild Season, and that Overheating and Wilt shouldn't be occurring, I started trying to find another cause.

Initially, I thought this was due to an issue with a mod I run, specifically rezecib's "Combined Status" (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=574636989). It was showing a display error: normally, it should be able to tell you what Season you are in and how many days remain. It was either incorrectly reporting the Season as Autumn or telling me outright "Failed!". After chatting with rezecib for a bit, they advised me that his mod was just reporting that there was an issue: SW itself was sending bad info, causing either the incorrect display of Autumn or "Failed!", which was the mod reporting that it was getting invalid data from SW. From what rezecib noted, it was a previously known issue that had been believed stamped out some time back but I wasn't the only one they saw reporting it still on occasion.

Which led me here, and other reports similar to mine, also noting that Presets were being used. And that got me to thinking: what if the Presets were causing the issue? I was using Presets that had been generated through a RoG-only play. Though SW setup was indeed showing only the expected SW-specific stuff on the Preset, I wondered if that Preset was somehow silently including RoG Seasonal info and passing it to my SW-only game when using the Preset that I'd generated playing RoG-only maps.

For completeness' sake, I use the following mods:

I tested a variety of scenarios:

1. I activated no mods/no Presets applied. I experienced no issues with this game. It played exactly as it should: Mild Season initialized correctly and I stopped playing by Day 6 as that was the absolute latest I'd ever seen Summer-like weather in SW.
  2. I activated "Combined Status" only/no Presets applied. The results were the same as #1, above.
  3. I activated all the mods listed above/no Presets applied. The results were the same as #1, above.
  4. I activated no mods/RoG-generated Presets were applied. I experienced Overheating and Plant Wilt by Day 3.
  5. I activated no mods/SW-generated Presets were applied. The results were the same as #1, above.
  6. I activated all the mods listed above/SW-generated Presets were applied. The results were the same as #1, above.

This suggests to me that the issue is that the game engine is silently passing RoG-specific Seasonal information to SW-maps if a SW-game is started using a Preset list created for a RoG-specific map. When no Presets, or SW-specific Presets are used to generate a SW-map, then Mild Season initializes as it is supposed to and the game plays without issue. When RoG-specific Presets are used to generate a SW-map, then Mild Season gets partially or completely overwritten by RoG Summer, with the Summer behavior that SW can actually display, and SW appears to internally report it as Autumn.

Share this comment