Corrupt Save File! (With Backup Available)

Maestromatic
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

After attempting to play on one of my save files a warning message came up stating that the save file was corrupt. Prior to starting that session there were very little entitys on screen with the exception of a few goop, walls and 4 krampus after killing that heathen glommer. I've been using mods for UI and accessibility including "wheres my map", "combined status", "geometric placement" and "wall health regen" yet after logging 3000+ days I've never had an issue with these mods much less the game. This specific save was day 505, autumn and late night. After the warning I disabled the mods as suggested and started up again yielding a black screen. Attached below is the warning screen following the incident, log file, settings file and a few others to help if accepted by uploader.

Specs:

Mac OSX 10.11.6

Macbook Pro Retina 2.6 ghz core i5, 8GB ram, sufficient SSD storage.

Steam API v017

An important note is that I'm using steams cloud save which did sync after the incident however just yesterday I used the time machine app built into OSX to back up my computer and all its files. Is it possible to grab yesterdays save file from time machine and switch it with the corrupt save? And which files and directories would i have to update in order to do so assuming my save file is permanently corrupt and i can't revert the steam cloud save. Hope one of the devs can assist me with this issue. Thanks for your time.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 4.50.54 AM.png

log.txt

saveindex

survival_4_bckp_1472721034

Steps to Reproduce
Kill Glommer, quit game, startup save file, receive warning, cry.

User Feedback

After some searching on google I found the directory on OSX. I went to user/library/application support/steam/user data/131327714/219740 and replaced remote cache.vdf and the entire remote folder with the time machine ones from a day earlier. I started steam with wifi turned off and everything restored. My day 505 only went back to 475 which is a small price to pay to get my save back. Unfortunatley steam cloud keeps overwriting the backups with the corrupt save. How can I set the old files as the default for steam cloud? Thanks devs!Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.47.13 PM.png

Share this comment

Hey Maestromatic.  Here's what to do if you want to overwrite your steam cloud saves with an older backed up version. 

Put steam in offline mode. Click on the top left "steam" and select "Go Offline"

Then replace the save files with the older files. The steam save files for Don't Starve are found in:
Users/username/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/usersteamnumber/219740

So you should be able to find your old files in that same location of your backed up copy.

This step might not be necessary but to be sure, start Don't Starve while steam is offline, pick you save file and save it again.

Finally, put Steam back into online mode, same way as you turned it off.

Also, if your backup copy is playable, we would also really appreciate it if you could send us a zip of all those files. It might help us track down the corruption error.

Share this comment