Directional input gets stuck sometimes after autosave

kiwikenobi
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

Sometimes, if I'm pressing a direction when the game autosaves, it will get stuck inputting that direction. I've only noticed it in ruins/houses, not outdoors. And for what it's worth, I use the keyboard and mouse exclusively, with the default mapping. WASD for the directions. No controllers. No mods.

For example, one time, in the ruins, I was walking up when the game autosaved, and after it finished autosaving, Wilson wouldn't stop walking up no matter what. And another time, just now, I was walking left in my house when it autosaved, and Wilson wouldn't stop walking left. Both times, when I went to the menu to save quit, the game acted like I was still inputting the direction as well, cycling rapidly through the buttons. I had to mouse over and click the buttons to make sure the right one got selected. Even on the main menu, it was cycling rapidly through the buttons as if I were holding down a directional key. Save/quitting and closing out of the game completely, then booting it up again, fixed it.

It only happens rarely, and the save/quit/close/restart fixes it. But I figured I'd post it here, since now it's happened to me more than once.

Steps to Reproduce
Sometimes when holding a direction when the game autosaves, it will get stuck inputting that direction. Only rarely, though, apparently.

User Feedback

This happens to me sometimes, too. Do you use a wireless keyboard? I had to push the pause button and press the same direction the character is facing. The game sometimes stuck in examination mode like you hold the alt-key (but you don't) but it can be quickly resolved if you press the alt-key.

Share this comment

I am using a wireless keyboard, so perhaps that's got something to do with it. I found that pushing the directional key in the pause menu and out of it didn't fix it. Nothing short of closing the whole game and opening it again seemed to fix it.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I am using AWSD most of the time and the pause screen give me time to solve the problem. The cursor in the pause screen might be uncontrollable but if I press the direction key the cursor is is running to it'll stop eventually in a couple seconds (in my case). Sorry if it does not help you. Your last resort could be unplugging the keyboard. It'll definitely stop and reset any character movement. 

Share this comment

My keyboard is wireless, so there's nothing to unplug. I suppose I could take the batteries out, but by that point, I think it's probably less trouble to just close and reopen the game.

Share this comment

Ah, I see. My wireless keyboard came bundled with my iMac, so whatever it's using to communicate wirelessly with it is built in and somewhere inside of the case, so I can't really get at it.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment