Game Crashes during Autosave

Ryxuion
  • Version: PC/MAC/Linux Pending

Hello!

I'd like to report about this bug where the game crashes every time it attempts to autosave, causing me to lose the progress that I've made. It happens quite often and only when I play Hamlet DLC. I have no problem with other DLCs.

The funny thing is that the pop-up message says Don't Starve Together, which is confusing because I didn't play DST at that time.

Untitled.thumb.png.0c5317dad546333b97c33606bca05ff5.png

Moreover, it says that I'm out of memory, but I still have plenty of memory left in my PC (then again, it might be simply because my PC is crappy, haha).

Untitled-1.png.3706c382025794a58d8a8b411f63328c.png

Anyway, that's all. Thank you for your time!

Steps to Reproduce
I play the game like usual and when the frame rate starts delaying, I stop moving until it returns to normal. On the next day, I move around a bit until the autosave feature kicks in. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't, but it's mostly the former one that happens to me.

User Feedback

This started happening to me aswell after the last patch. It only starts crashing after about day 20, and doesnt happen everytime. It happens 50% of the time.

• Like 1

Share this comment

The pop-up has been fixed, but that doesn't solve your underlying problem.

Could you upload your dxdiag as explained below? 

In the meantime you can try enabling "small textures" in the options menu.

Share this comment

"Memory" in this case probably refers to your computers, "RAM" (random access memory), not to disk storage space. You need this for applications to store temporary data and it's likely Don't Starve needed more to properly save. Regardless of bugs, you should look up getting more RAM for your computer.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

The pop-up has been fixed, but that doesn't solve your underlying problem.

Could you upload your dxdiag as explained below? 

In the meantime you can try enabling "small textures" in the options menu.

I don't know how to reply to comment here, so I hope quoting it is all right.

Also, here are the files, I hope it's sufficient. I'll try to enable the small textures as well. Thank you again!

Attachment.rar

44 minutes ago, PogoTigger said:

"Memory" in this case probably refers to your computers, "RAM" (random access memory), not to disk storage space. You need this for applications to store temporary data and it's likely Don't Starve needed more to properly save. Regardless of bugs, you should look up getting more RAM for your computer.

Oh, that might be it. In that case, is this enough? Or do I have to get more RAM?

Untitled-1.png

Share this comment

Your system RAM seems to be sufficient, and you also included the processor info which helps. I believe at this point your graphics card may be the culprit, as the game is referring to the memory on the graphics card itself.

I just got a new computer upgrading from an old Radeon 6670 to an RX 580, going from 1GB -> 8GB. Hamlet used to be very choppy, but now it runs very smoothly. Of course when upgrading a graphics card there's waaaaay more to it than just the memory on it. Point being most games nowadays require the most power from your graphics card. Depending on your computer you can fit certain graphics cards into the motherboard (laptop hardware is nigh impossible to replace aside from RAM, but I think you're using)

Most important thing: Is your game mostly choppy/drop in frames often? I suppose the devs would like to improve performance on all machines to optimal levels when they officially release the expansion, but If you want smoother gameplay overall I suggest looking into buying and installing a new graphics card. A search engine can help you with that.

Share this comment

Hmmm, your computer should be able to run the game, however I do see that when the game starts it already has little memory to work with. Do you have many other programs open, or a browser with a lot of open tabs?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

10 hours ago, PogoTigger said:

Your system RAM seems to be sufficient, and you also included the processor info which helps. I believe at this point your graphics card may be the culprit, as the game is referring to the memory on the graphics card itself.

I just got a new computer upgrading from an old Radeon 6670 to an RX 580, going from 1GB -> 8GB. Hamlet used to be very choppy, but now it runs very smoothly. Of course when upgrading a graphics card there's waaaaay more to it than just the memory on it. Point being most games nowadays require the most power from your graphics card. Depending on your computer you can fit certain graphics cards into the motherboard (laptop hardware is nigh impossible to replace aside from RAM, but I think you're using)

Most important thing: Is your game mostly choppy/drop in frames often? I suppose the devs would like to improve performance on all machines to optimal levels when they officially release the expansion, but If you want smoother gameplay overall I suggest looking into buying and installing a new graphics card. A search engine can help you with that.

Ah yes, the frame rate usually drops whenever I venture to the rainforest biome or when hostile mobs in large quantity (in my case, it was those small insects that look like ladybugs) chase me. That aside, I'll see if I can afford new graphic card. Thank you for your suggestion!

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hmmm, your computer should be able to run the game, however I do see that when the game starts it already has little memory to work with. Do you have many other programs open, or a browser with a lot of open tabs?

I only had Discord open at that time and it's usually fine.

Also, I tried enabling the small textures and it works like a charm! The frame rate is still a bit laggy, but at least it doesn't crash and I don't lose my progress. Thanks again!

Share this comment