Caves do not generate properly (FIX INCLUDED)

SpoonyBardIV
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet Pending

Caves generate with many thin passages that don't connect to anything, as well as large amounts of empty space. This is because all of the tasks/rooms use a placeholder called "PitRoom" for the background tasks, instead of using the proper background rooms for each biome. I was able to fix the issue entirely by removing the following from "/data/scripts/map/tasks/caves.lua" (Credit goes to @Mr.Oshiro):

"PitRoom",--

All you need to do is delete every instance of that line, and caves generate as normal.

Steps to Reproduce

Generate caves with un-modified file, then generate them after making the specified changes. The difference is quite large.

• Like 1

User Feedback

On 2/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, thevicelion said:

I always thought this was intentional, I would really like to see some examples of comparisons.

Here you go.

Before: Weird empty rooms and branches, skinny paths that serve no purpose.

2096737623_CavesBefore.thumb.png.e508daef6bb74fef38c2332040ea6b7c.png

After: Much better. This is much more similar to how caves look in DST.

2025454979_CavesAfter.thumb.png.51ed0d9ed403b8acb51d9c49327e902f.png

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Oh yeah I absolutely see what you mean there, please Klei make this fix happen.

The generation as you said really seems more purposeful and there are some cool looking Blue Cap Forest bridges there that barely even spawn in old generation.

Thanks for the effort of showing a little comparison I hope this is seen by Klei

Share this comment