Worlds deleted and can't create new ones after Hallowed update

Hadouken1023
  • Pending

After I updated for Hallowed all my saved worlds were deleted (lost one with 200+ days) and can't create any new ones. When I try to generate, the button changes to "resume world" and it shows on the list as if it was day 1, but nothing happens and I can't get in. Tried alone and multiplayer games but none worked.

Reinstalled the game several times but the issue remains.

Happende on MacOS 10.15

2GHz Intel Core i5 DUal-Core

Steps to Reproduce
Update to Hallowed
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

I am also running the game on OSX, and having a similar issue (although I am still able to create and load new worlds without problem so far).

My old worlds are still intact, but the game application does not seem able to access them. For me, the old worlds are located in User/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether, and named Cluster_1 / Cluster_2 / etc.; new worlds are created in User/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/82721104, and are named with a similar pattern. So far, when I try to copy and paste old world data into slots within DoNotStarveTogether/82721104, they are overwritten and fresh new worlds are created in their place.

This is unlikely to help you play your old worlds again--but I hope it will at least provide reassurance that the data is still there and may be recovered eventually!

Share this comment

@Swanky Psammead

Could you zip up your save directory (the original Klei/DoNotStarveTogether one) and attach it? I would like to check something with it.

Also, could you tell me the full path to your save directory  (select it in finder and press Command-I and the "where" will show it)

Thanks - this is puzzling.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@Swanky Psammead

You could try going into General Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy

And under "Files and Folders" (or Full Disk access) and Add Don't Starve Together

Let me know if that makes sense. I have to dive deeper in this but this may be it.

Share this comment

Whoa.

Could you...try Full Disk Access? You can disable it right after if you feel uncomfortable with it, although I'd think that Files and Folders would be enough.

Share this comment

It was not previously given Full Disk Access, but I have enabled it there now.

5db2349353377_ScreenShot2019-10-24at6_32_18PM.thumb.png.46ccbf15e14ca2663c1ca02ea080a6d7.png

Game still does not read my old world saves after giving Full Disk Access though--only the two new worlds that I created as tests, whose saves are contained in DoNotStarveTogether/82721104. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 6.32.58 PM.png

Share this comment

No worries. My whole hard drive is freshly backed up so I'm not worried about losing anything else. Feel free to poke me again if you need me to test something!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

@Swanky Psammead

Based on another users' input I have one more suggestion - if you don't mind losing those 2 new saves. You could try - with full disk access enabled for DST, removing (or renaming) the 82721104 folder. I just realized that once that folder exists it'll take precedence, so maybe the "Full Access" will make it work, but only if the 82721104 is not found.

If you wanna be extra careful, backup the original save first.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I don't mind at all, but the game just keeps creating a new 82721104 folder to replace the one that I delete as soon as it's opened, and continues to write new data in there.

In case it's helpful, the 82721104 folder also appears to hold my clothing presets, my keybinds, and my settings--they are all reset to default when I delete the folder, as if the game were freshly installed on a new computer (I even get the unique prompt for creating my "first world")5db3039b8d3af_ScreenShot2019-10-25at9_15_12AM.thumb.png.4a73ca53499d1d44f70aa670c45ffeb2.png

My old world save files remain unharmed and in their original locations.

Share this comment

@bizziboi @Hadouken1023 After playing around a bit with Full Access, I solved the problem! My application now reads all of my old data again, including my wardrobe presets and old settings.

I believe the problem earlier was that I was mistakenly giving Full Access to an alias of the application, rather than to the application that Steam interfaces with directly. It began to function normally again after I removed Full Access to the aliases and instead gave Full Access to "dontstarve_steam", as Files and Folders did. Hope this helps others on Catalina experiencing similar issues.

Edited by Swanky Psammead
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

@Swanky Psammead

Since you're most likely more comfortable than OSX than I am - is there an easier way to add it to permission than 'Browse local files' and then dragging it to the Privacy settings? Want to type up a support doc and would like to make it as trivial as possible.

By the way, as far as we can deduce based on our testing, if you get rid of the <number> directory and just enable "Document and Folder Access" things should work as intended.

Share this comment

If an application requires additional permissions to run properly on OSX, it will generally detect that when the application first attempts to search for other files, and prompt the user to give or deny those permissions automatically. There may be some differences on Catalina though. Quite a bit has changed, and I am still adjusting as well.

Share this comment

Thanks, yes, it definitely happened for us, but some reports suggest that this may not always happen and I've seen online reports of people having to remove and re-add the same app for it to start working as intended.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment