Unable to write to files in the config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder" After Hotfix - 494138

SacerGammoth
  • Pending

User Feedback

Hello, I just wanted to report a bug that has occurred recently after the last HotFix made today 02/02/2022 at 19:46 p.m. Apparently the game cannot be started since the following error appears "Unable to write to files in the config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder." I have checked it and it seems that I am not the only one to whom it happens, and that same afternoon I could play the game without any complications, the error happened after the update. I am aware that I can change the launch parameter and in this way the game works but I would like to wait for you to correct the error as soon as possible

Share this comment

Just wanted to add that I am also having the exact same problem, and it started immediately after downloading today's update. (The game worked perfectly fine before installing "[Game Hotfix] - 494138". Now I am completely unable to play DST at all and can't even reach the menu screen -- upon starting up the game, I get a screen where the only option I am given is to "Exit Game". Attached is a screenshot of what I see every time I try booting the game (even after several full restarts.) Thanks for your help with fixing this issue! :)

Screenshot_17.png

Share this comment

Somehow the error for me was caused by the antivirus. Make sure it isn't blocking access to the documents

Share this comment

Unfortunately some antivirus software flags the exe change for a while after some of our updates. Which antivirus software are you using?

There are steps to resolve the issue if you click the "Get More Help" button. It should take you to this support page. Steps 3 or 6 will probably resolve your issue.
https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171-Getting-a-Unable-to-write-to-files-in-the-config-directory-Error-Message

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hello
On 2/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, ScottHansen said:

Unfortunately some antivirus software flags the exe change for a while after some of our updates. Which antivirus software are you using?

There are steps to resolve the issue if you click the "Get More Help" button. It should take you to this support page. Steps 3 or 6 will probably resolve your issue.
https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029882171-Getting-a-Unable-to-write-to-files-in-the-config-directory-Error-Message

I am currently using Avast free antivirus. It seems that the problem did lie in the antivirus but I don't know how to configure it to allow dont starve together to modify files, I say this because deactivating the ransomware allows me to play but I don't know which files to give permission to modify files

Share this comment

I'm not sure how to configure Avast's ransomware, but the folder's you'd want to allow DST to edit are all the sub folders in : \Documents\Klei\

The exe's that need to modify this folder are:
32-bit:
bin\dontstarve_steam.exe
bin\dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe
64-bit:
bin64\dontstarve_steam_64.exe
bin64\dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_64.exe

They can be found by right-clicking on DST in steam and select properties, in the popup, select Local Files and then Browse...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment