Server takes half an hour to quit

darkscaryforest
  • Closed

Apologies if this is a duplicate, I couldn't find this issue. When save/quitting any don't starve together server I'm hosting, it takes an extremely long time to get back to the main menu (usually about half an hour). The game runs fantastic otherwise, starting a game/running it. Opening task manager after trying to quit shows that memory and cpu usage are way under maximum, and the two don't starve together dedicated servers running seem to still be doing things. I've also seen this happen when playing the single player shipwrecked and vanilla don't starve games.  Any wisdom or workarounds are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steps to Reproduce
1. Launch a don't starve together game (host it) 2. Quit the game 3. For me, it takes 15-30 minutes to get back to main menu

User Feedback

A) Does this happen if a world is only a day old? Or do you have a mega base?
B) Does this happen if you play on someone else's server?
C) Are you hosting a world with caves enabled?
D) Are you running any mods? If so then please disable them, then validate your game files via steam, create a test world and let me know if the problem persists.

If you could preform the following steps and then provide your log file then I could check if there is any obvious reasons for the issue.
1. close dst if its running 
2. launch dst
3. load up a world
4. in the console type: c_save()
5. wait for the save to complete (let me know how long it takes for the saving indicator to go away)
6. quit to the main menu
7. Attach your log file to this bug report

Log files can be found here: Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt

if you are running caves then also include (where # is the server number based on the slot order in the host game screen) :
Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_#\Master\server_log.txt
Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_#\Caves\server_log.txt

Share this comment

Thanks for your really fast response. For comparison, loading up the game (when I host or otherwise) takes about 15 seconds

A. I was able to reproduce when quitting on a freshly created world (a few seconds into day 1)

B. No, it is pretty fast quitting a game hosted elsewhere.

C. Yes, I've always had caves enabled

D. I was running a few client mods, so I did what you said- disabled them, quit, validated steam files (it said all files validated successfully), created a new world and tried quitting again and got back to the main menu in 7 or so minutes, so I suppose mods are not helping here

I then followed your 7 steps.  The saving indicator following the c_save command went away about 3 seconds after.  For some reason, I couldn't get this new server to write log files in the corresponding master and caves directories...is there a command I can use to force it to write to the log?

I did have my client_log.txt located at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt

client_log.txt

Edited by darkscaryforest

Share this comment

The client log is showing me at least part of the issue. But i'll have to ask around to see if anyone in the office has any ideas as to why its happening.

The servers are probably suffering from the same issue. Their log files should write out after the server finishes shutting down. Double check that you are looking in the correct Cluster_# directory.

E) Does this happen if you host a non-caves world?
F) Do you have any of the following in your client.ini: use_threaded_physics, use_alternate_gc, use_threaded_renderer 
- if so delete them and try again
G) Without DST running, rename your DoNotStarveTogether documents folder to DoNotStarveTogether_backup and then see if the issue still happens. After the test, shutdown DST and then delete the newly created DoNotStarveTogether folder and then rename your _backup back to normal. 

Share this comment

Hey sorry I never got back to you, I got busy with thanksgiving and forgot :(  I just came here to say it's fixed! Even my megabase game quits in like 30 seconds now! I didn't need to rename the documents folder, the latest updates must have solved the issue.  Thanks!

Edited by darkscaryforest

Share this comment