Salt lick doesn't stop domestication loss(?)

QuartzBeam
  • Fixed

image.thumb.png.21707ddee3e4dabaca6e9e02c9de3604.png

As you can see, I have 4 Salt Licks, all of them in pretty good condition. However, they do not really do anything... at least not consistently. I am using the Insight mod to see the beefalo's stats, so maybe there's an issue there, but it's been really reliable on everything else. Anyhow, I logged into the game and the beefalo's domestication was at 96.6% or something like that. I relog on the spot and suddenly the domestication is 95.5%. I go fight the Bee Queen and I come back to see its domestication is 95%.

I'm not entirely sure whether the beefalo actually uses the salt licks and they don't work or whether it somehow fails to use them. (Perhaps it doesn't use them enough somehow?)

image.png

Steps to Reproduce

I haven't the faintest idea. Lock a beefalo together with a salt lick and see what happens? Try unloading the beefalo? Try relogging? I don't know. It honestly just seems kinda random.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

When you go in the caves beefalo starts to lose domestication. Not by much for most of the time. But quite a lot if you stay there long enough. Not sure if it is intended. I just feed my beefalo a stack of twigs from time to time. And take him to the caves and leave him there near salt licks if i plan a long trip. Not very convenient. But if you neglect your pet completely it will forget you. =P

Share this comment

I noticed the same thing (through the same mod). For me, the beefaloes (I have 3 because they duplicated sometimes) seemed to lose domestication even when I was on the surface. When I went to the caves for one entire summer, I instead didn't experience domestication loss and if there was, it was very marginal. I don't really know how this happens.

Share this comment

I don't think it matters whether you are in the caves or the surface. If you go too far from the beefalo, it'll get unloaded, and the caves are just one way to go too far.

Thing is I've been building no more than a screen away from that beefalo and it would keep losing domestication even though it was clearly loaded. At other times, I'd leave it there and go far away, but come back to find its domestication intact.

Share this comment

Same, I have to keep domesticating new beefalo because they keep going untamed! Their riding time keep decreasing over time and sometime they randomly go in heat its so annoying

Share this comment

I still have this issue (I noticed it by using the same mod). I brought my beefalo's domestication back to 100% and parked it next to salt licks, but when I went away for a few days, I noticed that it had decreased.

Screenshot_2021-03-25_at_20_34_29.thumb.png.ab5e6ebf7a33e686e6ab1c815900b012.png

• Sad Dupe 1

Share this comment

3 hours ago, licet_insanire said:

I still have this issue (I noticed it by using the same mod). I brought my beefalo's domestication back to 100% and parked it next to salt licks, but when I went away for a few days, I noticed that it had decreased.

Screenshot_2021-03-25_at_20_34_29.thumb.png.ab5e6ebf7a33e686e6ab1c815900b012.png

The presence of the 'salt' timer means the saltlick is working, odd that it lost .2 percent.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

Share this comment

This is only my wild guess, but it could be that the salt lick stopped walking while I was far away mining a petrified forest, and as soon as I got back to my base, the beefalo started using it again

Share this comment

On 3/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, licet_insanire said:

This is only my wild guess, but it could be that the salt lick stopped walking while I was far away mining a petrified forest, and as soon as I got back to my base, the beefalo started using it again

Did the (all the) salt lick(s) run out? I found a bug that could cause it if ran out of salt licks, but I'm wanting to know if I should investigate deeper or if that was the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

No, the beefaloes had 4 salt licks with it and none of them had run out. There were however another four destroyed salt licks in the old place where I kept the beefaloes, which wasn’t very far away from that. Not sure if that could affect the beefalo, as long as there were active salt licks, because the beefaloes never wandered away from the active salt licks to the broken ones and whenever I was in the area and moused over them, the salt timer was running. 

During the past few days I noticed again my beefaloes losing domestication in the same way I previously described (but never wandering close to the broken salt licks). I will hammer the old salt licks down and let you know if anything changes.

Share this comment

I played for a bit tonight. I hammered the broken, old salt licks, and then I went away from my base for a couple of in-game days. When I got back my beefaloes hadn’t lost any domestication. However, if my memory isn’t failing, I think I had this problem even in between sessions, last week. Tomorrow I’ll play some more and stay away for longer, and if I encounter the domestication problem again, I’ll let you know

Edited by licet_insanire

Share this comment