[Linux Native] Server process does not close with client if the client process is killed forcefully

Wonderlarr
  • Pending

If a client is frozen (such as an infinite loading screen), killing the client process will not cause the server process to shut down, even gracefully. Steam shows DST as still running in this case, despite the client having been fully killed at this point. Stopping the game using Steam's "Stop" button seems to gracefully shutdown the server process, allowing me to launch the game again.

I don't believe game logs will help here.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Use the Linux Native build of the game
2. Kill the client process while loading
3. Switch to Steam, where the game will be displayed as running.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

User Feedback

I've had this happen to me on windows 7 too (which I know ya it's not supported you don't need to tell me) so I don't think it's completely exclusive to linux :).

Thankfully terminating it with task manager fixes it the rare times it does occur when the game crashes/freezes

Share this comment

6 hours ago, . . . said:

I've had this happen to me on windows 7 too (which I know ya it's not supported you don't need to tell me) so I don't think it's completely exclusive to linux :).

Thankfully terminating it with task manager fixes it the rare times it does occur when the game crashes/freezes

I figured it was exclusive to Linux Native as this doesn't happen on Proton or when booted into Windows 10, although I will admit it's been some time since I played on Windows. I just wish autocompiler was easier to use on Linux.

Share this comment

Which GNU/Linux distribution are you using? This issue has been reported already but the devs replied that officially the game does not support Arch Linux. Other users have reported it as well. I think the problem arose after said distribution upgraded its lua implementation to version 5.4 alongside a bigger update to Don't Starve Together, although I could be wrong. The bug still lingers.

Share this comment

On 3/16/2024 at 1:53 AM, Captain_Rage said:

Which GNU/Linux distribution are you using? This issue has been reported already but the devs replied that officially the game does not support Arch Linux. Other users have reported it as well. I think the problem arose after said distribution upgraded its lua implementation to version 5.4 alongside a bigger update to Don't Starve Together, although I could be wrong. The bug still lingers.

I'm using Kubuntu, essentially Ubuntu with KDE as its stock desktop environment. Ubuntu is Debian based, which I believe is fairly common and supported?

I forgot to paste my tech info in the original post so I'll update it now.

Edited by Wonderlarr
  • Like 1

Share this comment

From my understanding Ubuntu is a supported platform, so maybe the developers will listen to you at least and do something about the issue. :-) What lua version you are using? Can you look up the name of the package / version and post the information here?

Share this comment