Fig vines will not regrow if they have been burned with a fire staff

BezKa
  • Pending

If you burn down vines on a above average tree with a torch and then bump into the tree with a boat, the vines will regrow. I couldn't reach one of the vines so I grabbed the firestaff and blasted it. After bumping into the tree, only 2 vines grew back- wondering if the grow back is random between 1-3 vines, I blasted those too. When I bumped again, no vines grew.

I waited at least a day between burning vines and bumping each time.

Clarification- it's not the firestaff's fault after all. That's what I thought was causing it because that's the common link in my world, but after experimenting on a different one I'm getting mixed results no matter the tool i use.

Steps to Reproduce

Grow a tree

Burn the vines using a fire staff

Bump into the tree

No vines will grow back

User Feedback

It is random between 1-2 vines, and the test to see if new vines need to be spawned also uses a random between 1-2. So, even if they don't have "all" vines, they might not pass the test, and they won't spawn any.

Edited by Leonidas IV
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 5/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, Leonidas IV said:

It is random between 1-2 vines, and the test to see if new vines need to be spawned also uses a random between 1-2. So, even if they don't have "all" vines, they might not pass the test, and they won't spawn any.

I'm not sure I understand; I only see that 1-2 rolled once. As long as vines can spawn, I'm not seeing any other random math governing whether they do or don't.

As for under what conditions they can be spawned, a couple things to keep in mind, @BezKa:

1. Despite the fact that a tree will spawn 3-4 vines when it grows, those vines are actually not directly linked to the tree that spawned them in any way. The check to see if vines need to be respawned when you collide with a tree checks for any vines within a certain distance, so if there's another tree nearby that spawned vines in the first tree's vicinity, the check will fail.

2. The cooldown timer for the tree collision event is actually a day and a half.

Are there any other trees nearby that spawned vines too close to the one you're trying to get to spawn more? Did you wait long enough? The only other thing I can think of going wrong is that maybe a vine that was burned somehow didn't get fully removed.

Edit: Also just to confirm what Leo said: the maximum number of vines you'll ever get to regrow is 2. You won't get 3-4 like you start with.

Edited by Faintly Macabre
Clarifying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

Thank you both. That is kind of disappointing, but also helpful. I guess I'll live without vines from that tree.

Share this comment