Family sharing account -> Corrupt mods

t1morino88eex
  • Known Issue

Hello,

I am playing dst by having beem given sharing the game through the steam library family sharing option. 

When my brother logs out of his steam main account (he is sharing his library with my account) and I get to log in into the game with my steam account the Mods get corrupted, in the mod menu it keeps saying some mods need updating and after pressing the corresponding button nothing happens. The name, author or description of the mod is missing, it only says workshop-bunch of numbers.

This happened before and after trying out to subscribe as well to the same mods hoping it would fix it, but it didn't.

When he switches back to his account it is the same in the mod menu, missing info and mods fail to update. Reinstalling the game didn't do the job, unsubscribing and subscribing to the mods either. Verifying the integrity of game cache says everything is ok.

We tried manually deleting only the mod folder in steam common folder but we cannot do that, it keeps saying it cannot delete the folder and to Try Again. Final solution was to enter safe mode and delete the Mods folder which happened successfully (no more Try again error). Afterwards my brother verifies the game files integrity and the mod folder is redownloaded, after entering the game the mods display well again. That is until next time I log in with my account and play the game.

It is really frustrating to enter safe mode and delete the mods folder every time my brother gets back to his account and only for the mods to corrupt again.

dqwdf.jpg

Steps to Reproduce
1) Subscribe to mods on steam account_1. Mods working ok in dst. 2) Enter another account which is a family shared library from account_1. Enter game, mods get corrupted and missing information. Updating them doesn't do anything.

User Feedback

One more thing to add: this started happening around 2 weeks ago when our computer got upgraded with an SSD on which we install our software and games on, including Steam and the game library. On the old HDD we had no such problem.

And yes, we have tried force loading the mods list.

Share this comment

Hello, are both Steam users playing on the same Windows login, or on two different Windows logins? Is it possible that the first user is still logged in to their Steam account with the game running?

Share this comment

Hello Peter. We play on the same Windows 10 user, same steam client, we just log out of steam and change accounts when we want to play the game.

Pretty sure there is just one steam client instance running every time, Steam doesn't let a user logout if a certain game is running.

Share this comment

Also, I am not sure if it might be steam related either, because if we unsubscribe completely from all the mods, those still appear corrupted in the Mod menu, even after doing the option to Clean mods cache or something like that (the button left of the update mods one).

Share this comment

What I believe is happening is that the mod directory is getting emptied (since you aren't subscribed to your brother's mods), but something on your operating system is causing the directory to fail to delete. When you see these corrupted mods, try closing the game and any other other processes such as Steam (you might want to check the task manager and see what's running), and then try to delete the workshop-<number> directories from your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods directory.

I suspect it also could be an anti-virus program (or a virus itself) interrupting you from being able to delete the workshop directories.

• Like 1

Share this comment

We ended up solving the problem by installing Steam on 2 different partitions, and using 2 different steam game libraries locations.

• Like 2

Share this comment

I have a similar problem.  This is unique to one of my PCs only.  All of my machines have SSD drives, 850 EVOs.  I was about to follow the suggestions above.  However, I can reproduce this with any account in the family on this very machine.  All that I have to is shutdown the machine (properly) and start up again.  Once I try to get on the same server that we are running, I get the same problem.   To fix it, I have to go through the laborious process above.   

Share this comment