Don't Starve Won't Launch

dwightkschruted
  • Pending

I just downloaded the game yesterday and haven't been able to launch it. Have tried double clicking the desktop icon, clicking play in steam, or starting directly via the .exe file in the program files. The little loading mouse wheel will show up for a few seconds as if it's loading the game and then it will disappear, but the game never loads up. No splash screen or anything (not sure if there is one for this game). I've been following this post to try to fix the problem but have had no luck: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1201532-game-is-crashing-game-won-t-start-pc-mac-linux-

I have tried verifying the integrity of the game files and it always says that the files are fine. I have the GeForce experience installed and my drivers are up-to-date. Running a GTX 970, 16GB of ram, i5-4690k processor, so my system should play the game with no problems. I don't have any mods enabled and I never installed any anti-virus or security systems. I just have whatever the default it is that comes with windows. When I go into windows firewall to allow programs through, Don't Starve Together displays 3 times for some reason. Two of them are allowed via private networks and the other is allowed via public networks. I have tried allowing all three of them via both public and private networks but still no luck. The only ad-blockers that I have are extensions in chrome and I have tried starting up Don't Starve together as soon as I start up my computer before I open chrome so I would think they wouldn't have any effect on the game. I'm not running a dual card setup. Have tried reinstalling DXSetup and VCredist via the file destinations given. Have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. None of this has worked.

It might also be worth noting that after I try to start up Don't Starve Together the first time. Each time I try to start it again without restarting my entire computer it gives me the message "An error occurred while updating Don't Starve Together (app running)." It gives me a similar message if I try uninstall or verify game files after having already tried to start up the game. Additionally, when I open task manager Don't Starve together is nowhere to be found under apps or background processes so I can't even end task. Despite this, Steam still shows that I have nearly 2 hours of game time in the game, so steam thinks the game is being played while my computer isn't displaying anything that would indicate that.

I have no idea what could be causing this issue and would appreciate any help.

DxDiag.txt

client_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce
I downloaded the game then clicked play in the steam store. Wasn't able to ever get the game to launch.

User Feedback

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the game. In order to look into this reported issue further, we will need more information. Could you provide us with your DxDiag.txt and client_log.txt files. You can generate your DxDiag.txt by following the steps here: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/2503104-how-can-i-find-my-dxdiag-file 

And you can find your client_log.txt file in your documents folder at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_log.txt

Share this comment

This problem occurs to me too, however I solve it in a simple way, I just close the steam and open again as administrator, because closing the steam all supposed running games will be closed.

Share this comment

In addition to what @h3gproject provided, you can ensure that your system has full administrative permissions to read/write the hard drive. Here's how to ensure that on Windows 10: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-if-your-windows-10-account-is-administrator/

Also, if you have the RIVATUNER or MSI Afterburner programs running in the background, try disabling these when running Don't Starve Together as some users have encountered these software to cause conflicts with the game. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Same problem with me and my friend, i tried running as administrator or running it but still didn't work.

Edited by CoolGuyAwesome
add some information

Share this comment