Crops combos don't go giant after a few in-game years

petterr44
  • Pending

In personal worlds where a few in-game years have gone by, I noticed that giant crops combos don't all go giant anymore.

When I plant these combos on the very first year and do all the talking and watering needed, I always get them to all go giant. (ex: autumn, Eggplant - Corn - Pumpkin). However in a world with more days (ex: ~500days), I noticed that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the crops don't go giant, even if though I made sure that all the talking and watering was done, and tried it several times. I even tried digging up the farm plot and using a new rigamajig but still had the same problem. I tried to look at the nutrients with the premiere gardening hat and noticed that there was one of the three nutrients missing in one or two tiles when it shouldn't be the case (see screenshot)

20211116000738_1.jpg

Steps to Reproduce

I understand this might be hard to track and might not be easy to reproduce. I don't know if simply skipping 700 days will be enough or you will need an old world with a few years on it.

User Feedback

Have you used the farm plot continuously? Randomly-spawned weeds will suck up nutrients, so you will need to replenish them even if you otherwise only grow balanced combos. As soon as one nutrient goes low to the point of blocking, the slowed growth of the affected crop and desync with other crops' growth cycles will probably make the problem worse.

Not sure about the digamajig plot-reboot. I'd have thought that would reset the nutrients, but haven't checked if the default nutrient content is even guaranteed to be enough for giant crop combos.

Edited by myxal

Share this comment

To answer your question, yes I have been using that farm plot continuously. I will try to reset the nutrients as you suggested and see if that works. But I don't see why having 1 random spawning weed that sucks up nutrients should affect the plot after being shoveled and replaced with a balanced combo. Theoretically speaking the seeds from the combo would interact with the plot give and take the nutrients they usually do and so balance each other regardless of what nutrients were already in the plot before that.

Share this comment

On 12/11/2021 at 4:17 PM, petterr44 said:

Theoretically speaking the seeds from the combo would interact with the plot give and take the nutrients they usually do and so balance each other regardless of what nutrients were already in the plot before that.

Dammit, I thought I had actually replied to this thread.

Crop combos require an initial investment of nutrients to work reliably. The crops in any given combo don't grow all at once, but one at a time and in semi-random order, so you never know which crop will go first. So you need enough nutrients to carry the crops through a single transition.

If your farm soil is completely depleted of nutrients, the first crop to grow won't get the nutrients it needs and so it won't produce any nutrients either. This will kick off a chain reaction where none of the crops get nutrients cause there were none in the first place.

Share this comment

I did a new whole new plot, gave it all three nutrients for each tile and tried again .. same problem. Mind you I regularly make giant crops as I mainly play Warly and I never had that problem other than in worlds that exceeded 500+ days.

Share this comment

Just now, petterr44 said:

I did a new whole new plot

Any mods?

Also, what fertilizers did you use and what crops? Did none of them grow giant?

Share this comment

No I don't play with mods. As I explained in the bug report, I only plant balanced combos in the correct season (ex: eggplant-corn-pumpkin in autumn), a few don't go giant (up to 1/2) and I used Guano, rotten egg, and spoiled fish or growth formula although those are normally not necessary for the crops to go giant. I'm very familiar with the farming so trust me I'm not doing anything wrong and I never had this problem other than in worlds exceeding 500 days. If the initial nutrients investment is needed as you say, then farming random seeds first and then planting a combo afterwards wouldn't work on public servers as the nutrients would be skewed from the random seeds. However that's never the case and it works perfectly no matter which crop combo you plant. They always go giant.

Share this comment