Bulbous Lightbugs break when their formation is disrupted

QuartzBeam
  • Pending

The last couple of reports on this seem to have gotten buried, so I figured I'd reiterate and add some more info while at it. The lightbugs' AI does not take it well when their formation is disrupted and will react by flying really really fast to parts unknown. If you try to approach them with a lightbug in your inventory while they make their escape, they will fly even faster to avoid you. Yet they still seem to consider you their "leader" if the Show Me (Origin) mod is to be believed.

So far, there are 3 scenarios where that happens:

1. When you go through a wormhole with lightbugs following you, they will teleport near you, but then immediately start flying towards the wormhole you had entered.

2. When hits by falling debris during an earthquake, they will scatter as they are supposed to do and will once again fly really fast to... well, I don't know where, but I assume they are headed towards the origin. And because they can't fly over the void (for some reason), I've been able to catch up to them and corner them, only to find that they absolutely refuse to rejoin me. I assume the same could happen with other sources of damage, but I can't really recall any such situations. Presumably cause I must have been preoccupied with the thing trying to kill me.

3. When you put your captive lightbug in a container or simply drop the backpack you were holding it in (thereby leaving yourself with no lightbugs in your inventory), the follower lightbugs will sometimes rocket towards the origin in the same manner. This does not happen all the time. There have been plenty of occasions where I dropped my backpack and the lightbugs just fluttered around carefree. But there have also been times I accidentally placed them in a chest and they disappeared off the face of the constant.

Oh, yeah, and now that I mentioned it, they can't fly over the void for some reason.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Jump through wormhole with lightbugs following you OR

2. Let an earthquake do its job with lightbugs following you OR

3. Put the "leader" lightbug in and out of your inventory (on the mouse doesn't count).

• Like 1

User Feedback

I've also reported it before, but this same scenario can also happen when relogging. Seems like breaking and flying off to who knows where is just Lightbugs tend to do when something goes wrong with their AI.

• Like 2

Share this comment

@Sunset Skye Hey, are you still experiencing issues with the lightbugs? Yesterday the lightbugs would follow me properly through wormholes and they wouldn't scatter to the ends of the earth when hit by falling rocks (they'd disperse for a bit and would rejoin as soon as I approached). So maybe this got silently fixed?

Share this comment

On 10/30/2020 at 3:05 AM, QuartzBeam said:

So maybe this got silently fixed?

Seems like it did! I noticed they weren't leaving when I relog, but I just jumped through a wormhole to be sure and yep! Lightbugs seem perfect now <3

Edited by Sunset Skye

Share this comment