Beefalo can lose domestication "near" a salt lick

DarkXero
  • Fixed

Beefalos aren't supposed to lose domestication when parked near a salt lick, but it can happen. Why?

To achieve salt licking, there are two steps to perform:

Step 1) Search for the salt lick in a 20 units radius (5 tiles). This is done until a valid salt lick is obtained.

Step 2) Approach it and reduce the distance to less than 4 units (1 tile). Now you can lick it.

So, what are the problems here?

Problem 1) One observation is that (Step 1) is handled by the brain of the creature.

The brain stops working when the creature is sleeping (sleeper component) or asleep (unloaded).

This means that a "SLEEPING" beefalo (e.g during night), or a <ASLEEP> beefalo (e.g everybody went to pick tumbleweeds), is not going to be able to search for a new salt lick. You could have 2 salt licks ready to go for your beefalo, but he will only use 1.

If you restart the server, the beefalo isn't going to find the salt lick either, if he's not on the screen.

But this problem isn't as bad as the next one.

Problem 2) Another observation is that (Step 2) might not be finished if the beefalo is "SLEEPING" or <ASLEEP>.

In order to be salted again after the timer runs out, the beefalo must be within 4 units near the salt lick. If the beefalo isn't salted successfully, it shall start seeking the salt lick. The beefalo will try to hang around the salt lick, to approach it, so when the next seeking tick appears, the lick is ready to go.

But what happens if the beefalo is "SLEEPING" or <ASLEEP>? He won't walk to the salt lick.

Therefore, he will be unable to lick it, if he's not close enough.

He's going to lose domestication, despite the fact that the salt lick is just right there. Close, but not that close. And why?

Because the beefalo wandered too far, or decided to greet you, and went too far. Then it just went to sleep.

Stuff you don't give a second thought about.

Problem 3) Salt lick doesn't affect the lastdomesticationgain.

So if you leave and think the "beefalo was on a salt lick", and for whatever reason problem 1 or 2 appear, then your domestication will get dunked hard.

For example: it's Spring, and your half tamed beefalo is in heat. You decide to wait for Summer for the mood to end, and to give it food. You put a salt lick. It gets enraged with birds and manages to sleep away from the salt lick. It manages to lose almost half of the total domestication.

Steps to Reproduce
1) Get beefalo. 2) Get its domestication task running. 3) Place salt lick. 4) See what happens when beefalo is sleeping or unloaded at different distances from the salt lick.
  • Like 3

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Just happened to me today :

14940154_592902197574966_410394994902374

Yeey, finally !! Domesticated beefalo ! I shall call you Inedia.

14889767_592902217574964_269330902722908

W-WHY DID YOU THROWED THE GLOSSAMER SADDLE ON THE FLOOR?!? IT WAS EXPENSIVE !!

It's extra painful for me since I play alone. You can see that he started to use the salt lick, I had to do some stuff in the caves and then he stopped using the salt lick and lost domestication.

Edited by MatheusR31

Share this comment

Domesticated again...

15000748_594785704053282_369035793602111

You don't even have to bet on what happened.

15002353_594785434053309_878262721916221

If this isn't a bug I think they should change the domestication mechanics for people who play alone like me :/

Share this comment

i think you shouldnt have the licks spread like that  it could aslo be a thing however it did happen to me when  i was playing but it took alot longer to undomesticate maybe from the times it would walk away from the lick the ticks would count it. but idk 

so reading your problem 1 and 2 then yeah just stock up your pet with a bunch of salt licks rather than having them spread like that to ensure that he is always near the lick looking at that theres like 80 % of the area in that pen which he could be unsalted while sleeping. no wonder why he would get undomesticated.  or you could just try having a lick at certain destinations since it is a solo world you have the rider beef only ever going to use it for travel

Edited by EsaiXD
  • Like 1

Share this comment

6 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

i think you shouldnt have the licks spread like that  it could aslo be a thing however it did happen to me when  i was playing but it took alot longer to undomesticate maybe from the times it would walk away from the lick the ticks would count it. but idk 

so reading your problem 1 and 2 then yeah just stock up your pet with a bunch of salt licks rather than having them spread like that to ensure that he is always near the lick looking at that theres like 80 % of the area in that pen which he could be unsalted while sleeping. no wonder why he would get undomesticated.  or you could just try having a lick at certain destinations since it is a solo world you have the rider beef only ever going to use it for travel

Thanks for the tips, I still think that this shouldn't happen :/

Share this comment

I have a beefalo pen, and a salt lick in the middle. Problem is when I feed and mount the saddle on the beefalo, and then I go and do other stuff elsewhere, after a while the beefalo will unmount the saddle and the saddle loses durability. Does this mean the beefalo is losing domestication level?

Is this intended by the developer? Because i thought that having salt lick will always keep my beefalo "tamed". :(

Edit : I have problem understanding OP post actually. Sorry.

Edited by ButtPenetrator

Share this comment