Bearger growls endlessly for the entire season, but never spawns

AwakenedArtifact
  • Pending

Title says it all. Bearger only ever spawned correctly during the second autumn of the game. Every autumn after, I hear the warning growls signalling his approach, along with Webber saying "That sounded like a big meanie!" but he never shows up.

I've checked the world, and there are no Beargers already spawned in. These growls will continue every day and night for the entire season without cease and it's driving me crazy. Relogging, entering and exiting caves, even rolling the server back a day or two does nothing to fix this bug (rolling back only stops the sounds if it rolls back into summer, otherwise it has no effect and will start again the second autumn arrives). I've also tried turning Bearger off in the world settings and then loading in to the server, but that ALSO doesn't stop the noise, the growls continue no matter what I do.

The only temporary solution I found was suggested by another user, to spawn the Bearger in with commands and kill him. That makes the growls stop for that season, but the same issue returns every following autumn, and it's rather frustrating to be forced to use console commands and engage with the Bearger every single autumn to make the sounds stop, especially since I find keeping him alive more useful since he helps me cut down trees.

While my game is modded, none of the mods alter the way mobs spawn in the game, or add any new mobs either, so I strongly doubt they are responsible for the issue, but figured I'd mention that anyway.

I have yet to reproduce the issue, as I only play on two saves, and the other world has the same mods, but has no issues with the spawning of Bearger (who has successfully spawned in shortly after the growls 3 seasons in a row)

Here are some other forum posts I found on the subject, though they lack any solutions (aside from using commands), and I'd love to see this fixed.

"Bearger growling for the past 5 days but no spawn" October 6, 2021

"Bearger Not Spawn" November 11, 2021

Steps to Reproduce

I have no steps to follow at present that I can indicate would be responsible for the issue. The first time it occured was when I exited the caves in the middle of Autumn on my third year (my base is in the caves) and immediately heard the growls. I went back in the caves to grab something and come back, and from there the growls never stopped. I assume this might be a similar issue to the hound and depth worm waves never arriving after going in or out of the caves?

User Feedback

While my game is modded, none of the mods alter the way mobs spawn in the game, or add any new mobs either, so I strongly doubt they are responsible for the issue, but figured I'd mention that anyway.

Try disabling all your mods. Mods can do weird things to the game in ways you can't anticipate, particularly if you are using server-side mods.

Even better, try making a new world with zero mods enabled and have Autumn set to long. Then LongUpdate your way to day 30 for Bearger to spawn during your long autumn (it will spawn at day 30 cause it's autumn and the boss cooldown will be gone by then).

If Bearger spawns, then we can confirm that a mod is causing an issue. If Bearger did not spawn, then try uploading your server_log and/or client_log files.

Share this comment

I'll try, however I have a second save with the exact same mods enabled and Bearger has spawned correctly every season so far, which was why I'd avoided disabling them since some would be liable to break the save since they're added features like new structures and turf.

Share this comment

I am having this problem on PlayStation. It’s been 5 days of growling. Tried caves, wormhole, turning off bearger, rolling back, turning off autumn, changing characters. Not sure what else to try. Please help I am day 1240 in this world and I’ve been working on it for like 2 years haha. 

Share this comment

I've been busy lately, but I got around to disabling all server mods.

The issue persists. I cannot tell the difference between one folder and the other here so I am guessing if this is the correct server log (IDK why the dates aren't changing to reflect when the server was launched or having any label to assist in identifying them).

As with before, I have all the same mods enabled on a different server and save, and Bearger has no issues spawning shortly after he starts growling, but I have the same no-spawn endless-growl issue on this save every single autumn without fail, the INSTANT the first day starts.

client_log.txt server_log.txt

Share this comment