All of my files are gone.

Enny
  • Pending

I hadn't played since January until last night, when a friend invited me to their server. I got on today, keen on playing alone offline, only to see that none of my files were listed.There have been a ton of updates since then, so I know I'm SOL. Still, it is a little disheartening to find your main 300+ day world gone, along with all the others (and yes, I did use the 50 save slot mod). My morgue data was also nonexistant.

client_log.txt

Steps to Reproduce
Booted up after five month hiatus, went to host game, saw all file slots said New World.

User Feedback

@Enny there was an update that was implemented a few versions ago to accommodate mods that add save slots, though you're the first to report anything wrong happening (unless I skipped over someone). Can you confirm that the worlds still exist in the files? I'm not sure how the mod handles multiple saves, but hopefully the worlds are still in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether. Default saves are called Cluster_#.

Also based on the log, it's seems due to being on hiatus for a long while the mods number on the steam mods query doesn't exist anymore.

[00:12:18]: DownloadPublishedFileV2()
[00:12:18]: Did not find the ugc handle in the cache. This is likely because you're subscribed to a non-existent file 364255295
[00:12:18]: Did not find the ugc handle in the cache. This is likely because you're subscribed to a non-existent file 577604762
[00:12:18]: Did not find the ugc handle in the cache. This is likely because you're subscribed to a non-existent file 611916327

Can you check if your mods are up to date by opening the Mods Screen from the main menu? Cheers.

Share this comment

All subscribed mods are up to date. That was the very first thing I did after booting it up again. Disabling extra saves did not restore my main five.

The extra savegames are still in that folder, as survival_6, survival_7, etc. I don't see any file named Cluster_#, though I haven't made a new world yet. And I do have a backed up saveindex from December and from last March, if that would be of any use? Plus of a couple really old save/session folders that have snapshots in them. Which were nixed forever ago. OTL

Share this comment

@Enny did you enable the mod yet? I'm assuming you are using the 50 Saveslots mod, correct? That's the only mod I can find that adds more saves. So go to the Mods page and under the Client Tab, enable the 50 Saveslots mod. After that check if your worlds are accessible. If not, properly close down DST and then back up your survival_6, survival_7 worlds from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether into another folder. Then go back to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether and rename the survival_6 folder to Cluster_6 and survival_7 folder to Cluster_7 and so on. Next open DST again then make sure that the saves mod is still enabled then check if the world has appeared in the Host Game screen.

I have subscribed to the mod just now and tried to start a server from the saves past the first default 5 worlds, then I checked the resulting folder naming conventions of the the new world (generated by the mod) and it says Cluster_6 for me. So try that, make sure that DST is closed before you edit folder names. Just to be safe.

Let me know if it works, I'm guessing the mod creator changed the folder naming convention from survival to cluster some time during your hiatus.

Share this comment

I reenabled the mod, closed the game, and renamed survival_6 to Cluster_6 ((files, not folders, the only folders I can find are in DoNotStarveTogether\save\session with names such as 08000002148C2271 containing files and folders named KU_5KX_8UnX_)). Started up again, the host game screen still lists it as a blank New World. Honestly, though, I'd rather have my first five saves back than the forty extra. They were wonderful.

Share this comment

@Enny, ok so then there's a misunderstanding here. Sorry about that, I thought the survival_6 you mentioned was a folder that was generated by the mod. When the game hosts a new server, it saves the server data into a server folder called Cluster_#, these would exist directly inside this folder location (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\). Then the generated Cluster_# would be beside the client_log.txt, client_chat_log, client.ini, etc.

Can you attach the a screen shot contents of your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ ?

To be honest, I'm not so sure if very old saves would still be able to work, a lot of stuff has changed since then and I can't recall what the save folders looked like before the Cluster_# naming convention was implemented.

Share this comment

I figured that might be the case, but really appreciate you looking into it regardless.

EnnyDocuDST.PNG

EnnyDocuDSTsave.PNG

Share this comment

@Enny I'm going to suggest something drastic and I'm not entirely sure if it'll even work. If you look in the spoiler below, that would be the contents of my Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder. It doesn't have a save folder anymore but a client_save folder. The client_save folder has the same contents as the save folder you showed above.

Spoiler

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether:

DocumentsKleiDoNotStarveTogether.png

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save:

DocumentsKleiDoNotStarveTogetherClientSave.png

So first, I'd like for you to make another backup folder placed elsewhere on your PC and copy the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder into it so you have a place to restore from in case my idea screws things up even more.

My idea is, based on the differences of our DoNotStarveTogether folder the save folder that you have has been changed into what we now have as the client_save. Basically the save folder is no longer used. So what I'd like for you to try is the following:

• Backup the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder elsewhere on your PC
  • Open your save folder
  • Select All Files, Copy
  • Now go back to DoNotStarveTogether folder and open the client_save folder
  • Paste all the files you copied from the save folder
  • Overwrite what needs to be overwritten (you do have a back up of the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder by now right?)

While you are doing this, make sure that DST is closed. After the files have been copied over, open DST and check the morgue data first since the morgue file (in the client_save) would most likely be replaced with your original morgue file (from the save folder). Then check if your very old worlds can be access yet.

Hopefully the method fixes the morgue issue you have at least...

Edited by Zillvr

Share this comment

Ahhhhhh, it worked! The morgue data is back, the extra files are, and three of the main five ((the other two have somehow reset entirely?? but that's a worry for another thread)) are back! All Jury-Rigged Portals have turned into Florid Posterns. And it even remembers which mods I was using. =3   Thank you SO much! 

Share this comment

@Enny awesome it worked, I think the two world saves that reset completely could be because I had you rename the survival_6 and survival_7 file into Cluster_6 and Cluster_7 (before we tried to merge the save folder with the client_save folder). I'm sure I instructed you to back up those files (survival_6 and survival_7 file) first before renaming them. So with DST closed again, delete the files I had you renamed as Cluster_6 and Cluster_7 in the client_save folder and then get a COPY of the original survival_6 and survival_7 file from the backup location and paste them in the client_save folder.

Then start up the server again. Hopefully you have all your worlds back now. If however the worlds are still reset, close DST and go to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether and delete the Cluster_# corresponding to the server that automatically reset itself (thereby losing your old progress). Cluster_1 folder is the server folder for the server in Slot 1 of the Host Game screen, Cluster_2 is for Slot 2, Cluster_3 is for Slot 3, so on. Once deleting the specific server folder, get another COPY of the original survival_6 and survival_7 file from the backup location and paste them in the client_save folder. Then start up DST again.

Sorry for the long winded instruction, hopefully everything is okay now. Have fun out there, cheers.

Share this comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the two worlds now empty are slot 4 and 5. As they're vanilla, there wasn't a survival_# file for them in the save folder. I've found the save\session folders for each, but they're from waaaaaaay back at the start of the beta. Swapping files in and out and renaming hasn't worked, and it's almost certainly a lost cause.

Share this comment

@Enny Ah, thank you for clarifying. Looking at the bright side, at least you were able to salvage 3 of the 5 worlds you used to have plus the morgue data. Sadly, that's all the help I can think of. So to the two forever lost but never forgotten worlds, cheers!

Share this comment

The Klei folder keeps causing my game to crash so i have to delete it. Whenver i delete it my game stops crashing but all my world saves are gone any help?

Share this comment