Oasis wildfire protection is incompatible with the Ice Crystaleyezer

chaosmonkey
  • Pending

The ice crystaleyezer is currently in a bad spot for wildfire protection given its interaction with the oasis sandstorm. The sandstorm protects everything loaded as long as the player is in the sandstorm, but the ice crystaleyezer protects specific objects from smoldering as long as they are inside its area of effect. This means that if you want to put ice crystaleyezers outside of your oasis to be able to leave during the summer, you actually need to cover whatever the unload range is _inside_ the oasis as well or else your oasis base is at risk of smoldering.

This picture shows the problem. If I place an ice crystaleyezer in this general area, my oasis area is at risk of burning as soon as I leave.

The oasis sandstorm should either always protect everything in the oasis regardless of the player's position, or the ice crystaleyezer should control smoldering based on whether the player is in its bubble.

image.jpeg.4f351adc30bc262a3d9bb073c94c71af.jpeg

Waterlogged Canopies have the same problem.

The best solution seems to be making the sandstorms work more like the ice crystaleyezer or canopies. The alternative of making eg. the ice crystaleyezer based on player's position would be very surprising behavior if one were to exit the radius and things start on fire inside.

Steps to Reproduce

build some high priority fire starters in the oasis while oasis is active

go 1-2 tiles outside the oasis and away from the fire starters

trigger wildfires

observe stuff in oasis ignite

• Like 3

User Feedback

sucks in general to have the chance of something INSIDE a sandstorm burning because you hung out right outside it for a few moments

• Like 1

Share this comment

"The alternative of making eg. the ice crystaleyezer based on player's position would be very surprising behavior if one were to exit the radius and things start on fire inside."

Klei Please do not do this one it would be bad, this creates a way bigger problem just to try and fix a small, niche problem.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I agree that Oasis sandstorm should be fixed to protect everything built on Oasis terrain and not depending if a player is currently standing in the sandstorm. Clearly it's possible to assign certain terrain tiles certain properties (for example, Lunar Island/Lunar Grotto terrain has the property of changing your sanity to lunacy). The Oasis desert tiles then should be assigned with the property of wildfires not starting. If it absolutely has to be tied to the sandstorm then again, it could be temporary as long as the storm overlay exists, no matter if player sees it or not. Just like Lunar Rift tiles get a temporary property of changing your sanity to lunacy but only for the duration of Lunar Rift cycle and only for the tiles of Lunar Rift terrain. 

Edited by Lovens
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Mechanics of the crystallizer completely aside, the wildfire protection of the sandstorm being contingent on the players position seems unnecessary and perhaps unintended. My only concern with making the wildfire protection tile-specific is that it will make stuff outside of the oasis more vulnerable to wildfires. Perhaps that protection can extend a few tiles into the water so boats parked at the Oasis don’t burn during Summer.

• Like 2

Share this comment

2 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

Mechanics of the crystallizer completely aside, the wildfire protection of the sandstorm being contingent on the players position seems unnecessary and perhaps unintended. My only concern with making the wildfire protection tile-specific is that it will make stuff outside of the oasis more vulnerable to wildfires. Perhaps that protection can extend a few tiles into the water so boats parked at the Oasis don’t burn during Summer.

It should be possible to keep both behaviors, though now that we have waterlogged trees, I could imagine them removing the "in sandstorm" check for wildfires.

Share this comment

7 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

Maybe if desert tile checks will be added on top of existing sandstorm system it would solve this problem. This way everything inside the Oasis will never smolder even if you stand outside the sandstorm, and stuff outside the Oasis won't smolder as long as you are inside the storm just like it works now.

Share this comment

I'd be open to submitting a patch to fix items in the sandstorm area smoldering if there's a chance it would be accepted. It would be really nice to see this bug fixed.

Share this comment