Cannot harvest Bioluminescence once some is destoyed on land (smashed chest)

enofemti
  • Closed

Cannot harvest Bioluminescence in my world anymore.

Seems this is the case once you have some stored in
a chest which is destroyed. Where does this strange
substance go when released? on land |o| ...

Love the DLC

Steps to Reproduce
Let the volcano destroy a chest with some Bioluminescence.

User Feedback

Hello @enofemti bioluminescence can't survive on land which is why it despawns if the container it's in gets broken. You can see this at work when you attempt to drop some bioluminescence on the ground, they get removed. If you're interested in looking at the code you can find it here (Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0002\scripts\prefabs\bioluminescence.lua):

inst:AddComponent("floatable")
	inst.components.floatable.onwater = true 
	inst.components.floatable:SetOnHitWaterFn(function(inst) updatelight(inst) end)
	inst.components.floatable:SetOnHitLandFn(function(inst) 
		local x, y, z = inst.Transform:GetLocalPosition()
		local fx = SpawnPrefab("splash_water_drop")
		fx.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
		inst:Remove()
	 end)

From that we can surmise that if it gets drop on land SetOnHitLandFn is triggered and at the end of the function is Remove(). I'm no lua programmer but I think bioluminescence disappearing on land is technically not a bug and is working as intended. (I hope I understood the code right.)

I hope that helps, cheers.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @enofemti bioluminescence can't survive on land which is why it despawns if the container it's in gets broken. You can see this at work when you attempt to drop some bioluminescence on the ground, they get removed. If you're interested in looking at the code you can find it here (Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0002\scripts\prefabs\bioluminescence.lua):

inst:AddComponent("floatable")
	inst.components.floatable.onwater = true 
	inst.components.floatable:SetOnHitWaterFn(function(inst) updatelight(inst) end)
	inst.components.floatable:SetOnHitLandFn(function(inst) 
		local x, y, z = inst.Transform:GetLocalPosition()
		local fx = SpawnPrefab("splash_water_drop")
		fx.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
		inst:Remove()
	 end)

From that we can surmise that if it gets drop on land SetOnHitLandFn is triggered and at the end of the function is Remove(). I'm no lua programmer but I think bioluminescence disappearing on land is technically not a bug and is working as intended. (I hope I understood the code right.)

Hello Zillvr,

Thanks for the explanation and the code snippet, I see.

Though, I'm trying to understand why I can no longer collect bio.
It started right after my chest with bio was destroyed. Maybe the
drop on land function never gets called in such case.

I don't know, cheers

Share this comment

So wait, you mean you can't capture bioluminescence globally anymore after some got destroyed? Have you found bioluminescence again at all but can't catch them with Bug Nets? Or does it seem seem like they all disappeared from the world? 

If it's the latter, can you go into your game again and use the following console command code in the SW Overworld:

c_countprefabs'bioluminescence'

That would count how many bioluminescence exist in the overworld. If it's output is zero, report back. I'll try and replicate it on my side. Sorry for misunderstanding your post. Cheers.

Share this comment

17 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

So wait, you mean you can't capture bioluminescence globally anymore after some got destroyed? Have you found bioluminescence again at all but can't catch them with Bug Nets? Or does it seem seem like they all disappeared from the world? 

If it's the latter, can you go into your game again and use the following console command code in the SW Overworld:

c_countprefabs'bioluminescence'

That would count how many bioluminescence exist in the overworld. If it's output is zero, report back. I'll try and replicate it on my side. Sorry for misunderstanding your post. Cheers.

c_countprefabs("bioluminescence ") gives 328, but I have used c_give("bioluminescence ", 20) to get some (its a 300+ day world after all ;))

Yea, I cannot get them with a bug net, I don't get the catch marker when I'm over them in the water

Share this comment

Do you have mods on? Does pressing spacebar (Do Action Key) do nothing while you have a bug net equipped? Or are you using a controller?

I tried to replicate it but it doesn't seem to bug out for me. I am still able to catch bioluminescence after I got some of them destroyed by the volcano eruption.

Could you try a verify the integrity of the game cache then check if the bugnet is still acting buggy?

Share this comment

Tried with spacebar and its working |o|, but not by using the mouse.

I don't know how to check the game cache integrity.

Share this comment

For verifying the integrity of the game cache, instructions here. You could also try holding the bug net on your cursor and drop clicking it (left click/primary action) on top of the bioluminescence, shown below. 

bioluminescence.thumb.jpg.870fd843ff266e

Another thing you should probably try first is to check settings>controls and make sure that Secondary is bound to a key. It is bound to Right Click by default. Pressing Reset might be faster too, in case other controls are wonky too.

Share this comment

It's only bioluminescence which I cannot grab with the mouse anymore, catching bees, butterflies works as before.

It's very strange, it has worked with the mouse and now it only works with spacebar, in this specific world.

The game cache was ok.

Cheers

Share this comment

Hey @enofemti I think I just figured out what's causing the issue wherein you are unable to catch bioluminescence. For some reason having a boat lantern/torch equipped on your boat disables the right click option for any tool which was mostly prevalent with the Spyglass. Here is one of the discussions that entails the workaround for this kind of bug. (source) Hammering other boats in the ocean also requires drag drop hold to utilize it while on a boat.

Share this comment