[Custom Item] Remote control for reactivating traps

Sergio A V

Hi everyone, I want to make an item mod that;

- It's an item with, Health?, Just like a Panflute, Fire staff, etc

- Can be stored in normal containers (player's inventory, chests, etc)

- Can be dropped to the ground

- Can be used only while it's in the player's inventory (Right click to Use), but cannot be equipped in hand, armor slot or gem slot

- On use, it reactivates all deactivated tooth traps around the player (I don't know how to look for deactivated traps. components.mine.inactive maybe?)

- It loses X Health after using it, but it never breaks. It should remain at 0% durability (not coded yet)

I've tried it by making the remote control an instrument and an useableitem with no success, so I tried to make my own component. This is the resulting mod which won't work

Trap Remote Control.rar

I've seen that if I want to use ACTIONS.PLAY or ACTIONS.USEITEM I need to make my item an instrument or useableitem, so I've thought about making my own custom ACTION as well, thing I don't even know how to do.

I hope you can help me with this little project so I can learn a little bit more about lua.

Before you read, I'm only beginning modding DS as well but I have heavy knowledge in general lua, and I don't exactly know if this'll work on my first try either. I hope it does for you though!

For the 'Health', it's called durability, just so you know ;p.

To get the durability, you'd use the "finiteuses" component like this, I recommend this thread to learn more about components 

init:AddComponent("finiteuses")
init.components.finiteuses:SetMaxUses(10)
init.components.finiteuses:SetUses(10)
init.components.finiteuses:SetOnFinished(function(i) i:Remove() end)

Although I am not too sure on how you'd make a custom degradation of the durability, my apologies.

To store it in an inventory, you'd just use the "inventoryitem" component like this, I recommend this thread to learn more about how to make an item 

local assets = { 
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/nameofitem.zip"), -- dropped item
    Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/nameofitem.xml"),
    Asset("IMAGE", "images/inventoryimages/nameofitem.tex"),
} -- put this at the top to load before everything

init:AddComponent("inventoryitem")
init.components.inventoyitem.imagename = "nameofitem"
inst.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "path/to/nameofitem.xml"

You don't need to follow the swap part of it, since you don't want the remote control to be held but you will have to use spriter to make an animation to create the ground item

One way you could possibly use this, is by using the instrument component from the panflute, here is the children to it that should be useful to you, a12fac42db25e718a795fa8c2bfc0406.png

Basically just change the range to however far you want the remote control to work, and I think you can make an onheard function like this

inst:AddComponent("instrument")
inst.components.instrument.range = 50
inst.components.instrument.onheard = function(inst)
	if inst.prefab == "trap_teeth" and inst.components.mine.inactive then
		inst.components.mine:Reset()
	end
end

This is how it would look

local assets = {
	Asset("ANIM", "anim/nameofitem.zip"),
	Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/nameofitem.xml"),
	Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/nameofitem.tex"),
}

local prefabs = {}

function fn(color)
	local inst = CreateEntity()
	local trans = inst.entity:AddTransform()
    local anim = inst.entity:AddAnimState()
    MakeInventoryPhysics(inst)

anim:SetBank("nameofitem")
    anim:SetBuild("nameofitem")
    anim:PlayAnimation("idle")

inst:AddComponent("finiteuses")
	inst.components.finiteuses:SetMaxUses(10)
	inst.components.finiteuses:SetUses(10)
	inst.components.finiteuses:SetOnFinished(function(i)
		i:Remove()
	end)

inst:AddComponent("inventoryitem")
    inst.components.inventoryitem.imagename = "nameofitem"
    inst.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "path/to/nameofitem.xml"

inst:AddComponent("instrument")
	inst.components.instrument.range = 50
	inst.components.instrument.onheard = function(init)
		if init.prefab == "trap_teeth" and not init.components.mine.inactive then
			init.components.mine:Reset()
		end
	end

return inst
end

return Prefab("common/inventory/nameofitem", fn, assets, prefabs)

Next, you would make a file named "scripts", then a folder named "prefabs" inside scripts, then create your item as a lua file here. Now, in your modmain.lua, add

local PrefabFiles = {
	"nameoftem"
},

EDIT: I noticed I swapped between inst and init between alot of them, just use whatever variable you set in the function, my bad. This general post is pretty rough, but I hope it helps out.

adaeffeb25c2f0f0a27eb32231a54e32.gif 
Here is a gif of me trying the instrument concept, and it works flawlessly

I really appreciate all the help and effort you did trying to help me, but the Malacath guide is half wrong and I had most of the code (the easy one) already done, the thing is I don't know what am I doing wrong in the code. I'm trying to create a new component and a new action for future mods I may create, but the item won't work.

Below is the current mod after I tried the malacath guide (which has a lot of mistakes). If someone has the free time to help this newbie and let me know which abysmal mistakes I did, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Trap Remote Control.rar

Edit: I also tried the code above and it doesn't work. The item shows the "right click to play" little image but rightclicking does nothing (same problem happens with the code I made)

Archived