Some feedback on the rocketry update.

There are a few small additions/changes that i would really like to see:

With regards to the rocket:

Logic wire input for the command capsule or engine so the rocket can be launched using logic. Now i have to leave the playing screen to launch the rocket which doesn't feel right.

Upon return have the rocket orbit until given a land command. (Use the same logic as the launch command?) Now it lands regardless in the middle of a meteor shower, already lost my live cargo due to a meteor  going straight down the rocket the second it had landed. Only had 6 meat :(

The gantry overheats to easily. Even in the rocket silo it is not save as the rocket lands upon 100% and i have to open the doors. Best way to "fix" a meteor hit with regolith is to deconstruct the gantry. Otherwise it will continuously overheat.

Add a rocket status panel that shows mission progression in the game. Perhaps the same one that is used as the update indicator in the menu screen. Connect it with a (second) logic input to accommodate for multiple rockets? ( In case only one logic input per object is possible: launch command to the engine and mission status to the command capsule.)

No damage to open bunker doors and wiring inside when the rocket passes. I don't mind damage to the "lesser" doors but bunker doors are made for this stuff in my opinion.

I have a rocket silo + command center (apartment with a lot of switches) next to it where a duplicant stays during the last 10% of the mission to manage the rocket and silo. See picture.

Gas and liquids storage vessels:

In all cases that i use them, Full is good, Empty is bad. However the indication is the other way around.

Rocket and command centre.jpg

In NASA launches, the gantries are coated with a varnish that burns black to protect the metal, which can later be scrubbed off. Water is also flooded to prevent the gantries from melting or getting damaged.

You can see this in action here: Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch at 0:15 and 6:00.

In game, gantries should be VERY resistant to heat, or have liquid inputs that spray water to cool the launch bay on launch/land.

On 9/22/2018 at 4:05 AM, ccXanthos said:

Upon return have the rocket orbit until given a land command. (Use the same logic as the launch command?) Now it lands regardless in the middle of a meteor shower, already lost my live cargo due to a meteor  going straight down the rocket the second it had landed. Only had 6 meat :(

This would solve SO many problems. It would allow proper timing of the opening of bunker doors, coolant preparation, or regolith clearing.

Archived