Are magnetics a possible game mechanism?

No, the engine cannot currently handle magnestism, but I'm sure the ONI developers could implement it, if it was worth the work (and run-time performance cost)

If you want to persuade the ONI developers that magnetism is worth implementing, then you may want to elaborate on all the great things that would be possible with magnetism. I'm afraid that you will have to be very convincing, though, because it would a lot of work to create a new physics system which supports magnetism.

Off the top of my head, I can't think off any significant advantages of adding magnetism to the game. But feel free to convince me otherwise.

Is it feasible that the game engine could institute an invisible, evenly distributed gas that has cause/effect just with more unique characteristics? Which would be a radical re-imagining of it's components, certainly, but a possible mechanism by which a new 'force' could be introduced.

But, also the more mundane, structure instituted methods or means could be developed or imagined/utilized. Such as MagLev, or plasma manipulation as one has suggested already. There are numerous ways the idea could be modeled to emulate such behavior. I'm rattling it around.

Also there more fantastical examples, Castle Roogna had magnetic blocks in it's walls. A version of that might be improved over-pressure resistance. I'm really just curious if the engine could do it, not so much an urgent request to change the game. Or some spectacular reason why.

Maybe they could walk on the underside of metal tiles? Or those bunker doors people put up top. Would that be nice?

Archived