Lag and offline play

So I was playing today and my frame rate was much lower than usual. I even lowered by graphics from Medium to Potato and it didn't help, and it re-occured even after restarting the game. At first it was playable, but it got much worse when I reached the second part of the level and soon it was down to a single frame every few seconds, like you can see in the video.

I noticed that everyone in the server had a really high ping, so maybe that could be the cause? Playing offline seemed to help, but I didn't want to risk it not recording my progress :( It seems strange that the game would slow down due to networking issues, though. It's essentially a single-player game because there's no interaction, so there's nothing my machine needs to wait for. Any idea what could have causes this frame rate issue? Should I report it as a bug?

I have another question: does playing in offline mode stop your records from getting uploaded later? Could we cheat by altering our local record files and then going into online mode? Would it be feasible to record the replays in offline mode and then have the server validate them later?

Hot Lava 03_08_2018 18_42_34.mp4

Archived