Help adding a tech tree

I'm working on a mod that I would like to add a research lab.  This research lab would unlock recipes specific to the mod.  It seems that the correct way to do this is to add a unique tech tree to the game.

However there seems to be no "clean" way to do this.  The code that checks what recipes to unlock uses literals to compare the name of the prototyping machine and decide what can be unlocked.  Poor programming aside how can I get around this?  

Here is what I have found so far:

• EndoxinAPI This modding api tries to accomplish the tech tree by overriding the poorly written code, but is outdated and crashes.
  • DST seems to have fixed this problem by adding a "AddNewTechType" method for modders to use
  • The other few (literally 3) forum posts I found are from 4-6 years ago and end with a developer saying: "yeah it's an issue we'll fix it in the next update."

I'm not convinced this is impossible but I might need to be much better at LUA for it to work.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.

For any other unfortunate soul that finds this in the future:

I found no way to add a tech tree in Don't starve.  There seems to be an error in Klei's code that doesn't allow new tech trees.

However this problem is fixed in Together.  As I was going to transition my mod anyway I am now working exclusively in DST.

I wish you better luck than I had.

Archived