Connection issues

I'm not a network guy but I'm fairly computer savvy, have written some software (small things) and I'm struggling to understand some things. Why/how am i getting connection issues when playing local offline split-screen while my partner, sitting right beside, suffers no such issue?? The game is entirely unplayable as you continually die from things not even on screen and then it rubber bands you back. Upon respawning you can't pick up your gear because it just freezes inthe animation until you die, again to enemies not in the frame, and it rubber bands you away again. Seriously,  WTF?

On 6/2/2018 at 4:31 PM, W1ck3d said:

I'm not a network guy but I'm fairly computer savvy, have written some software (small things) and I'm struggling to understand some things. Why/how am i getting connection issues when playing local offline split-screen while my partner, sitting right beside, suffers no such issue?? The game is entirely unplayable as you continually die from things not even on screen and then it rubber bands you back. Upon respawning you can't pick up your gear because it just freezes inthe animation until you die, again to enemies not in the frame, and it rubber bands you away again. Seriously,  WTF?

I'll start by saying.... You're not alone. It's not an issue with your machine. It's not an issue with your save file. It's not an issue with your home router or modem, and all of your cables are fine. If you want to try clearing your cache and cookies go for it, but that's not going to help.

The issue you are experiencing is an issue with the game itself, and the limitation of the game, and the lack of any sort of warning from the people that made the game to give people a heads up (warning: split screen is choppy.... warning: large world sizes increase lag in split screen.... stuff like that).

Good luck getting any sort of assistance here. These are one of the worst forums for bugs I have ever come across. The lack of responses alone were enough to make me go from liking this game, to completely despising everyone involved with this games creation.

If you post something in the wrong forum, a dev may reply and tell you to post the issue somewhere else. Other devs will click like on this and upvote the worthless reply, that never resolved anything.

If you break down your problem completely, it will get ignored by the devs.

If you email KLEI, they will probably not assist you either.

If you privately message a moderator/dev on this site who is currently active... they will ignore your request for assistance and simply leave the message as unread.

So yeah..... Offline split screen mode is a joke. If you ask why people will say it's your connection, and if you point out that this is offline they will blame your connection.

So since I reached out for assistance with the exact same problem, and since none of the devs could be bothered to lift a single finger to assist... I'll try to help you out.

The game is broke and no one wants to admit it by commenting. That is why you are having connection issues offline. Don't waste your time or energy troubleshooting anything else. I have a similar background as you (suck at networking, cpu smart..... C#, JS, HTML/jQuery)

The game that you paid to play as you wanted, is unable to be played as you want it. 

Now that it's clear that the issue is not with you at all, and you are breaking the game by playing the game in a way the developers created for you to play the game..... here are some steps on how you can play their busted game while limiting the headaches you generate during this time.

Don't make the world bigger than default. Xbox allows huge, PS4 allows large. I know it sucks because you should be able to play the game on any setting, but just try playing a world with all the same settings you normally would, but select "default" or whatever is one step under default for the world size (including in caves).

Spread your base out. If you normally have a base where you have gathered twigs/farms/grass/etc, spread out each area farther than you normally would. For example, I have to walk a minute or two from my base to get to my grass. This reduces the number of things on the screen at your base, where you spend a lot of time.

I have the same lag issues as you. Go to pick something up and wait forever only to not have it picked up. Rubber banding all over the place and your dude moving around when you're not even touching the controller. I had connection icons showing for me stating my connection was busted the lag was so bad.... and yes.. this was in offline split screen.

Below is the same bug I posted on KLEI, and you can measure the responses yourself. If you look at my profile you will see I've attempted to raise this issues in a variety of ways.

I highly suggest you don't waste your time trying to get help on this issue. This company doesn't care if you're having issues with a product of theirs..... that you spent money on.

Anyways, I know how frustrating it is to try and explain an issue that is bothering you, only to have it be completely ignored. My hypothesis is the 2nd player who normally always has the rubber banding is suffering this due to the 2nd player needing everything from p1's map synced with their own map (if p1 chops a tree down in their world, this change needs to sync to be the same for p2's view). Shrinking the world size shrinks the number of items that need to sync between the two views.

Archived