Mod config setting to enable "all_clients_require_mod"

The first person mod I uploaded last week has been getting a lot of attention, but one thing I didn't expect to see was a lot of requests to force all clients into this first person mod (maybe people are trying to make death-match style blowdart wars? Who knows)

This sounds like kind of a silly request, but the only way I know how to would be to make a third mod, which would just be the exact same mod but with "all_clients_require_mod = true" slapped into the modinfo.lua. And I really don't want a 3rd copy of the mod hanging around.

The aforementioned "second mod" is an all-client-required, host add-on mod that runs a simple script every couple of frames to un-hide the host's playermodel and the surrounding objects. (Don't ask. I've tried. There is no other easy way around the render-distance and hud/viewmodel separation)

I was wondering if there would be a way for me to set an option in the config-menu option in that ADD-ON mod (since that one IS an all-clients-require-mod) that would force all clients to download the MAIN client-side first person mod when they join the server.

I'm pretty sure there's not much I can do within modinfo.lua, right? Basically nothing but set the mod description, titles, and set mod configuration values. And even if I could change it's value in there, changing the "all_clients_require_mod " value in the modmain without updating the changes to the actual workshop won't force all client's to download it. (At least, it didn't when I tried. Unless I messed something up)

Are there any possible ways around this? Or is the only solution to just upload a separate version of the mod with "all_clients_require_mod = true"

On 4/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, pickleplayer said:

The first person mod I uploaded last week has been getting a lot of attention, but one thing I didn't expect to see was a lot of requests to force all clients into this first person mod (maybe people are trying to make death-match style blowdart wars? Who knows)

This sounds like kind of a silly request, but the only way I know how to would be to make a third mod, which would just be the exact same mod but with "all_clients_require_mod = true" slapped into the modinfo.lua. And I really don't want a 3rd copy of the mod hanging around.

The aforementioned "second mod" is an all-client-required, host add-on mod that runs a simple script every couple of frames to un-hide the host's playermodel and the surrounding objects. (Don't ask. I've tried. There is no other easy way around the render-distance and hud/viewmodel separation)

I was wondering if there would be a way for me to set an option in the config-menu option in that ADD-ON mod (since that one IS an all-clients-require-mod) that would force all clients to download the MAIN client-side first person mod when they join the server.

I'm pretty sure there's not much I can do within modinfo.lua, right? Basically nothing but set the mod description, titles, and set mod configuration values. And even if I could change it's value in there, changing the "all_clients_require_mod " value in the modmain without updating the changes to the actual workshop won't force all client's to download it. (At least, it didn't when I tried. Unless I messed something up)

Are there any possible ways around this? Or is the only solution to just upload a separate version of the mod with "all_clients_require_mod = true"

The difficult thing would be determining if other players have actually downloaded your mod or not. I think that is why the "all_clients_require_mod" even exists is to prevent players who don't have the appropriate mods from entering your game. I personally would either make the original mod all client required since you have the option to swap between 3rd and 1st person mode already available in your mod or create a 3rd one with all clients required. It would be the easiest solution, but I can understand where you're coming from not wanting to force players to download it if they aren't going to use it seems redundant to me too.

If anything I think you would need to run a check that's similar to the "all_clients_require_mod" to send the player a warning before they enter the game to download/install your mod, but I don't think you could force them to download it from the market, you could only advise they need to download it in order to continue.