Abandoned Oil UgrAde Colonies.

As we reach the terminus of the Oil UgrAde in a couple weeks I thought we might post our oil UgrAde colonies for those who might be abandoning them for the next update. There were a number of plans I still had for my colony like a mealwood/morb farm to supply my tower of babelfish and also a water distillery. My major gripe is the thermo regulator bug that has plagued later cycles of this build where I have to monitor the cooling hydrogen radiators for my energy generators or I get a cascade heat failure if I don't replace the regulator. It has some minor growing thermal issues that require remediation as well, but that's something that'd be easily solved in time.

20171102194238_1.thumb.jpg.47842b255c7bebeaafc2da9712f3d5d6.jpg

Save File: AG 068.sav

2 hours ago, Whispershade said:

As we reach the terminus of the Oil UgrAde in a couple weeks I thought we might post our oil UgrAde colonies for those who might be abandoning them for the next update. There were a number of plans I still had for my colony like a mealwood/morb farm to supply my tower of babelfish and also a water distillery. My major gripe is the thermo regulator bug that has plagued later cycles of this build where I have to monitor the cooling hydrogen radiators for my energy generators or I get a cascade heat failure if I don't replace the regulator. It has some minor growing thermal issues that require remediation as well, but that's something that'd be easily solved in time.

20171102194238_1.thumb.jpg.47842b255c7bebeaafc2da9712f3d5d6.jpg

Save File: AG 068.sav

does it lag much?

1 hour ago, eloy2030 said:

does it lag much?

It isn't so bad to where I call it unplayable, but that depends on one's standards. Bad enough that might pause it to traverse the map or lay wire or pipe because of the hit to frame-rate. I also tend to run it constantly at speed 2x, though.

1 minute ago, Whispershade said:

It isn't so bad to where I call it unplayable, but that depends on one's standards. Bad enough that might pause it to traverse the map or lay wire or pipe because of the hit to frame-rate. I also tend to run it constantly at speed 2x, though.

Yeah, that´s pretty bad for me. If I get to that point I mostly just restart. Now I´m trying to build and expand in such ways that it doesn´t.

That´s a beautiful base btw, forgot to mention when I asked. I´ll upload mine later.

I'm not sure I will abandon it... It has been generated in Outbreak Upgrade with Onion patcher to have  a 512x512 map and I modified it to add oil geysers... I can still import biomes from a newly generated map.

Esterin2.jpg

8 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

Yeah, that´s pretty bad for me. If I get to that point I mostly just restart. Now I´m trying to build and expand in such ways that it doesn´t.

I've thought about this. One problem I had is I was desperate to find the last water geyser which took me all over the map trying to find. I've thought about  Creating vacuum storage areas for things like sedimentary rock which would hopefully significantly lower the amount of calculations and improve performance. But I wasn't quite at the point yet. Maybe next time I'll make certain regions internal to the base that get packed with useless material and vacuum.

4 hours ago, Whispershade said:

I've thought about this. One problem I had is I was desperate to find the last water geyser which took me all over the map trying to find. I've thought about  Creating vacuum storage areas for things like sedimentary rock which would hopefully significantly lower the amount of calculations and improve performance. But I wasn't quite at the point yet. Maybe next time I'll make certain regions internal to the base that get packed with useless material and vacuum.

now with automation we can make proper airlocks, apparently.

18 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

now with automation we can make proper airlocks, apparently.

I hadn't had a chance to play with the gate yet, but I'm concerned with the possibility of dupe logic forgetting jobs they can no longer reach while they're waiting for airlocks to depressurize. And proper airlocks aren't particularly efficient in the game because dupes don't operate as teams, generally. So it isn't like as a squad the all pile into the airlock, it does its thing, and then they all do a days work on the other side. You're probably still better off in a lot of circumstances with things like exosuit+liquid lock or something. Just in terms of speed.

8 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

I hadn't had a chance to play with the gate yet, but I'm concerned with the possibility of dupe logic forgetting jobs they can no longer reach while they're waiting for airlocks to depressurize. And proper airlocks aren't particularly efficient in the game because dupes don't operate as teams, generally. So it isn't like as a squad the all pile into the airlock, it does its thing, and then they all do a days work on the other side. You're probably still better off in a lot of circumstances with things like exosuit+liquid lock or something. Just in terms of speed.

Yeah, I´ve been experimenting with them a bit, no use... as u say. The waiting time can be minimized quite, dont know if u been playing with it, but theres a dupe checkpoint that u can be set to stop dupes from passing through (when certain conditions are met, or not), but it is not like a door, they´ll just wait there until it is ¨free¨again, they dont forget. 

The problem is atmo switch can´t recognize vacuum, so, we r better of with the pump just ¨on¨. I want to make all the ¨out side¨, or at least most, vacuum. So as to minimize lag in the late game.

6 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

but it is not like a door, they´ll just wait there until it is ¨free¨again, they dont forget.

That is good. The only way I can imagine making an atmo switch that recognizes vacuum is to use the Not logic gate on a switch that is set to above 0 like they did in the stream.

1 hour ago, Whispershade said:

That is good. The only way I can imagine making an atmo switch that recognizes vacuum is to use the Not logic gate on a switch that is set to above 0 like they did in the stream.

right, that makes sense... still, I discovered that if U put several pump in a row u dont even need the second door.

And mini pumps are even more effective!

Archived