Extending custom speech files.

I have been making a character and I had a shot at making a custom speech file. When I was making it, I found that a few announcements had the ability to have different strings and were able to pick one at random as long as it is inside the given parameters. I decided to give a bunch of the commonly used announce strings some variance but it caused my mod to crash the game every time I tried to load it. I had a look in the client_log and found out that it was crashing because the game was expecting to close the very first '{' near ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE_ATTACK. Despite the fact that the first set of extra strings is in ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE. I really don't know what's going on guys. I've lined things up, triple checked commas, I made sure the sections were being closed off but I cannot find the solution to the problem. If anyone could spare the time to take a look and tell me what's wrong, that would be much appreciated. I have inserted the speech strings and the client log below. If any more information is needed, please tell me and I will happily give it to you.

If there is now solution, just tell me. Thank you!

speech_rowan.lua

client_log.txt

Hi @Edgeircanine428!

You need to place a comma between elements. You are missing some commas after closing curly brackets, like in line 131. If you're using Notepad++, use the Replace tool (Ctrl-H), select "Extended" search mode and replace all "}\r" with "},\r" (without the quotation marks). "Near" in error messages usually means "before": since there's no comma after closing the definition for the ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE table, it expects to close its parent table definition (the anonymous table that contains the whole string set) rather than a new element, in this case ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE_ATTACK.

Btw, you're posting in the single player modding section. If you're working on a DST mod, you'll want to post in the DST Modding section since there are sometimes differences between DS and DST, and the DST section is more active nowadays.

2 minutes ago, alainmcd said:

Hi @Edgeircanine428!

You need to place a comma between elements. You are missing some commas after closing curly brackets, like in line 131. If you're using Notepad++, use the Replace tool (Ctrl-H), select "Extended" search mode and replace all "}\r" with "},\r" (without the quotation marks). "Near" in error messages usually means "before": since there's no comma after closing the definition for the ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE table, it expects to close its parent table definition (the anonymous table that contains the whole string set) rather than a new element, in this case ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE_ATTACK.

Btw, you're posting in the single player modding section. If you're working on a DST mod, you'll want to post in the DST Modding section since there are sometimes differences between DS and DST, and the DST section is more active nowadays.

Thank you so much! I had no idea I was supposed to put a comma after the curled brackets.

Also, thank you for pointing out the fact I was posting in the DS section. I honestly thought I was in in the DST. I must've been so wound up by the speech file that I didn't notice. :p

I really appreciate your help, alainmcd!

Archived