Host another person's world from my steam account?

I remember I tried swapping the files in my Cluster forlder for those of my friend's, but it just generated a new world when I tried hosting off of that cluster. I assume that self hosted games are somehow linked to your account, but all I see in the files is a cluster token ID. not sure if it's relevant or how it's generated. 

Has anyone tried to host a world which isn't originally theirs?

I'm no rocket scientist, but yes, cluster token IDs are linked to your Steam account.

You see, when you buy and create a world for DST, Klei's webservers create a cluster token for you. These act as a) a way for Klei to manage their servers, b) a way for Klei to make sure that nothing fishy is going on, and c) something to make your life a little easier.

Though I do host servers and such, I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but I have an idea on how you could use someone else's world.

1. Open Don't Starve Together, hit "Play!"
  2. Assuming you're not in Offline mode, go to the bottom-right corner of your screen and hit "Account". The Steam Web Browser will lead you to one of Klei's pages.
  3. Somewhere in there, there should be a "Generate Server Token" button. Click it.
  4. Once that's done, it'll create a new token for you. Copy that to your clipboard, you're gonna need that.
  5. Navigate to where you had found the cluster token ID, and open the said file with Notepad or something similar.
  6. Delete the token there, and replace it with the one you had on your clipboard.

Again, I have no idea if that'll actually work, but... worth a shot!
EDIT: You could also try deleting the folder called "save" in a world (or "save" in the folders Master and Caves if you have Caves too), navigate to the world he gave you, copy the save from there, and paste it into where the original save once was, if that makes any sense. Again, I'm not a rocket scientist.

Thanks! I will test it. I was also advised to leave the cluster token and server settings from one of my existing worlds and just copy the Master and Cave folders. Will be trying that also. Will update if anything ends up working.

Thank you for your help! I managed to host the server by leaving my own cluster token and server settings from an existing world of mine. Then I just copied over the Master and Caves folders from my friend's cluster.

1 minute ago, pofil said:

Thank you for your help! I managed to host the server by leaving my own cluster token and server settings from an existing world of mine. Then I just copied over the Master and Caves folders from my friend's cluster.

No problem, buddy. Have fun, and don't starve!

Archived