questions on bristle bottom farm and liquid tepidizer

how do you sustain an ideal temperature of -3 to 3 Celsius in this game, I tried to use thermoregulator but to no effect, what I noticed is that the gas pumped on the gas outlet of thermoregulator is cooled a bit but after it pumped out of the vent the air temperatures remained the same. I have also tried to use two thermoregulators with this time the temperature cooled until maybe -2 Celcius maximum but after it pumped out of the vent the result still remained the same.

and what does liquid tepidizer do? I submerged one in normal clean water and the only thing I noticed is that it heated up the water and released oxygen into the air? 

any screenshots of brittle bottom farm is greatly appreciated

I'm actually still in the process of playing around with this too, so I don't really have any finite answers for you. I do, however have what I think is a solid idea I can point you in the direction of. You should check out this video from Brothgar as to how he attained an efficient farm for mealwood. I bet it could be adapted somehow to the optimal temperature for bristle blossoms.

19 hours ago, padelno said:

how do you sustain an ideal temperature of -3 to 3 Celsius in this game, I tried to use thermoregulator but to no effect, what I noticed is that the gas pumped on the gas outlet of thermoregulator is cooled a bit but after it pumped out of the vent the air temperatures remained the same. I have also tried to use two thermoregulators with this time the temperature cooled until maybe -2 Celcius maximum but after it pumped out of the vent the result still remained the same.

As for dealing with temperatures in your thermo regulators, I you have to make sure you have a high concentration of air in your farm so that heat will transfer efficiently, as well as it's going to take a while for it to change (especially if you're changing the room from 23* to 0*.)  Also, make sure to use insulated pipes for all of your air so you don't lose your cold temperatures during transport.

19 hours ago, padelno said:

and what does liquid tepidizer do? I submerged one in normal clean water and the only thing I noticed is that it heated up the water and released oxygen into the air? 

To my understanding, the liquid tepidizer is a really inefficient way to warm up water, which can help make it evaporate if you need to turn it into steam, or it can be used to warm aquatic tiles if your thimble reeds are too cold.

Temperature mechanics are a little bit tricky to get the hang of, and I still can't do any of this in a very efficient way myself, but the basic problem here is that a little cold air won't do much to cool a lot of warm air. Check the air pressure you're pumping into. If it's at the usual 500g to 750g that's typical in a base (and that the plants grow well at,) then you've got to add a lot of cool air to it to change this. Vents stop outputting air at 1kg, so if this chamber is airtight (and I presume that you want it air tight, so your cool air doesn't mingle with warmer air from the rest of the base,) then you're never going to get the temp low enough if you're piping in -2C air. At 500g native pressure, by the time you got it to 1kg pressure you'd only be halfway to -2C (assuming you're pumping in the same type of gas. Specific temperature makes some gas carry/absorb more heat than others,) but the native biome is leeching a little bit of heat into the system, so you probably get even less than that.

If the chamber is all oxygen at 600g pressure, and 20C temp, then to get it to 0C, you'd need to dump in 400g of oxygen at -30C (not accounting for efficiency losses,) to get it done before the vents shut down. Since you have a temp switch, and because you probably don't want it at max pressure (because if the temp creeps up you wanna be able to cool it again,) then you could pump in a smaller amount of much colder air, and just let the switch tell your gas pump to stop. If you chain a couple of machines together you can cool your pipes a whole lot, but somebody on the forums probably has some trick to do it mainly with the cold biome and wheezewort plants.

If you've got plenty of power for this, you might consider pumping all of the warm air out of the chamber (probably not all the way to a vacuum, but as close as seems reasonable,) and then shutting that system off and pumping in cooler air. I'm not sure how much heat loss (cold loss) actually happen there, but you probably want it just a bit cooler than your target, because it's going to still have to cool the remaining heat from the chamber walls and such

I'm not sure, but the temperature of the water that you pump into the farm tiles might also impact the room. The tolerance is so narrow with BBs (and they grow kind of slow,) that I'd only try to get excellent yields out of them for kicks.

Archived