The Dreams

I was thinking, what could be the backstory behind some of the characters in don't starve, I'd written some of this like 5 years ago, but I'm posting it now. 

So what if there was a dreamworld that you can enter temporarily by cooking a mandrake and it will be this vast shattered place that resembles the world they came from. So basically, as you explore you may learn the story of each of the characters. So what i think is that each of them were lured into the shadow realm by Maxwell.

Wilson: You find his old laboratory and upon further exploration of it you find evidence of the terrible things he did in the name of science (Details could be found in a log he has of his experiments, feel free to add extremely creepy pictures). His research showed that he was trying to find a way to harness the power of the shadow realm, teleportation,  distilling pure nightmare fuel, fabricating living shadows. He put all of his research into a book titled "Codex Umbra". His final experiment went horribly wrong, and unleashed a powerful evil upon the world.

Willow: You slowly find burnt bits of wood scattered around until you eventually find this giant burnt down city with a little teddy bear. Upon exploration of the city you find this was her home where she lived with her family and she burnt down the entire city killing everyone. <--This could be done by peiceing together a burnt newspaper. (maxwell is a firefighter on one of the newspapers)

Wendy: She had an unbreakable bond with her sister, so unbreakable, not even death could separate them. In the dream scape, Wendy's ghost guides you through the world showing you different important spots, and telling you about them. While she is telling you about how you were playing in the woods, a giant black hand (like the ones that take out camp fires) swipes Abigail away, leaving you alone in a suddenly dark forest. You follow some giant foot prints leading to a well with a flower sitting on the edge. the flower Abigail had in her hair.

Wolfgang: He was a brutal wrestler that would often brutally injure people, he also killed his wife. you can find out how brutal of a wrestler he was by peiceing together a newspaper found in one of the shattered cities, but finding out he killed his wife should be difficult. To find out about his wife, you must first find out about how brutal he was in the wrestling ring, and you may find this wrestling Matt with a picture of his wife on it. When you get this it will be with some clues to the location of where he murdered his wife <-- maybe back stage. Anyways, he strangled his wife because his wife wasn't beautiful or something like that. (maxwell is his manager)

Woodie: Worked as a logger deep in the forest chopping down trees. He noticed an ominous feeling of being watched one day while cutting down trees during dusk. Then a giant tree uprooted itself and knocked him unconscious. He later woke up as a massive beaver in an endless forest, with an insatiable need for eating trees. One day, it suddenly turned day, and he returned to normal with an axe, but he had no idea where he was, or how he got there, or how to get back to civilization. This story is told through a trail in the woods with a massive treant chasing you. At the end of the trail, you see woodie in beaver form crouched over a dead person. He leaps at you and kills you.

Wx-78: In a junk yard, created by young Wilson. "When I started on him, he was just a convoluted art project, I would add pieces to him every day. He started to become my only friend in the world. One day, on a rainy day, I was telling WX-78 about my issues with life, and then suddenly lightning struck him. Sparks flew everywhere, and my ears were ringing and I was completely blinded. But squinting I could see WX-78 glowing brightly... standing... staring straight at me. He went to move towards me, but I quickly ran away." (Wilsons journal found in the junk yard) WX mainly spent the rest of his life scavenging the junkyard for gears to try to maintain himself. He eventually leaves the junk yard, and enters a town. This is when he develops a hate for humans, because the humans throw rocks at him. He returns to the junk yard and begins piecing together a female robot in an attempt to make a friend for himself. Later, as he's animating his companion, humans enter the junkyard in search of junk. He immediately hides in a pile of junk not realizing that he left his creation out. The humans attempt to salvage the spare parts from the companion, he goes berserk, and kills both of the humans. This was too late however, as the humans had already killed the companion, interrupting the animation. (maxwell can be seen driving their car that pulled up to the junk yard) This is told in a junk yard through several flashbacks, maybe told by some talking robot

Wickerbottom: Wickerbottom was a school librarian, who also happened to be a famous author. She was known to be notoriously strict for people talking in her library. Students rumored that she once killed a student that wouldn't stop talking and that she never left the library. There is a flashback of her younger days as a happy school librarian, who would help students find their perfect book, and even published children's books. Then one day, a book was returned to the library that wasn't even from the library. This book was titled "Codex Umbra" Wilson. Confused, she brought the book to her study to read it. As soon as she opened the book, she was locked in a trance, unable to stop reading. The book was encoded in strange symbols, but she could still understand it through dark whispers in her head. Days past, until a student entered her study looking to return a book. Confused, he approached the book to close it. As soon as the book was closed, all of the shadows in the room attacked the boy, giving him a lasting fear of darkness and monsters. (wolfgang's past). The boy managed to stop wickerbottom from being consumed by the book, which she promptly threw in the garbage, but she still would never be able to sleep again, and she was still left extremely twisted and wicked. She later learned she could duplicate the symbols she read in the book, having similar powers. Her story is told in a dilapidated version of her school, through several history books. These are the only books not weathered from time.

Wes: Wes, the son of the great Maxwell. He had a troubled life, his mother being gone, and his father being a famous magician. His story begins in a spooky house (Think of the uncle's house from series of unfortunate events). When you first enter this house, you'll notice that there are hundreds of balloons on the ceiling. There is a single red balloon that urges you to follow it to tell you the story of wes. Wes had a reasonably normal life, until his father quit his job as a buisness man to become a magician. His first day as a magician, is also the first day wes began having nightmares. To cope with these nightmares, Maxwell gave him a pile of balloons, and taught him to make balloon animals. His nightmares were getting worse, and he began to notice his balloons showing up in impossible places, and seeming to follow him wherever he went. On the day of his fathers disappearance, he was scared to go home. He avoided it for hours, but decided to go inside when it started raining. Upon entering the house, he was immediately surrounded by balloons. When he turned to the door, more balloons moved to block his exit. He tried pushing through, but they pushed back. The balloons begin encasing him, then the flashback ends. At the end of the dream, all of the balloons rush towards the player and kick them out of the dream.

Maxwell: Maxwell the great, He used to be a failing business man, and when all hope was lost, he found a book in a garbage can while he was looking for things to scavenge. He read the book, and was instantly compelled to sell everything he had, and to become a magician. His first show started slow,  but his ability to manipulate shadows, and create objects from thin air gained him great popularity. In no time, his shows were fully booked, and he was attempting more difficult stunts. He invited a beautiful girl named Charlie to be his assistant in his big show. His biggest show, he would attempt the most daring of stunts of all. He would create a shadow double of himself. This went horribly wrong, unleashing shadowy creatures on everyone in the crowd, and tearing both Maxwell and charlie into two, a shadow, and light form of themselves. Maxwell's shadow form remained in the real world, and banished all those in the crowd, including Maxwell's true form, and charlie to the shadow realm. Maxwell's shadow form then began to banish other souls to the shadow realm (the other characters). This story is told in a large theater with many torn posters. Upon learning the end of the story, the room suddenly darkens, leaving only a faint silhouette of the character, who is then killed by charlie ending the dream.  

These are all of the characters created during the initial wave of banishments, the other characters come later. I'll also write about them later.

Edit: Tell me why I just wrote 1652 words about dont starve lore

Edited by Nickdy
  • Like 2