The base is on fire!

I was playing on a survival server a Webber, we were surviving pretty good, there was a Wigfrid, a Wilson, a Wendy, and a Maxwell. I was out in the woods gathering green mushrooms. When I heard everyone screaming that the base was on fire, So there after it burned, we all sat hopelessly by the fire pit, knowing that winter was drawing near. At least we still had the berry bushes and farms. So, we were trying to repair the base, then we saw it. The Maxwell (I won't say the player name) lit the berry bushes on fire and burned all the crops. We found out they burned the base and they were immediatly kicked afterwards. So we eventually rollbacked the world and played as normal.

As soon as I read the title... I just knew it was my calling. Granted, my story isn't as tragic as yours (mostly because it was what I can only describe as the quickest downfall I have ever witnessed), but it's still worth sharing. It also involved fire and the loss of all hope.

It wasn't winter yet and our base was looking great. You know, the usual. We had chests full of stuff, berry bushes and crops everywhere, our thermal stones were already done. We had two days until the seasons would change, but there was nothing to worry about. Yes, our base was ready. Me and the squad (I was playing as Wendy and my friends were Webber, Wilson and Maxwell, I think) were doing our last rounds gathering resources when, before we knew it, night came. Now, 3 out of 4 of us knew how to handle the situation. Maxwell ran back to camp and me and Webber had torches made in case we got lost. Again, you know, the usual scenario... and then.

There was Wilson. He wasn't too far from the camp, but far enough that (if he were to run in a straight line) he wouldn't make it back in time before the darkness engulfed him. His torch was also on its last legs, so he did what had to be done -- set fire to the nearest tree. Sighing in relief, we all thought the worse was over. Well see, the thing is, we made The Worst Mistake of All Time when creating our camp: we planted a lot of trees around it and kept all the chests and berry bushes close together. So close you could navigate through all of them without being attacked by the dark. I don't know why it didn't occur to us before that this wasn't a good idea.

What happened next is exactly what you'd expect: the tree Wilson set on fire ended up causing the most chaotic domino effect in the history of forest fires, and in a matter of seconds everything was set ablaze. Including Chester. It looked like a rogue Willow had wandered into our base and punished us for being idiots. We headed back and did just about anything we could to salvage stuff (I was desperately trying to pick up the items that fell from the chests before they, too, caught on fire) but all we could do was watch. It was brutal. There was no mercy.

Bottom line is, our Wilson is never living that one down.

Archived