Is there any way to maintain high gas pressure in pipes?

Has anyone discovered a method of pressurizing gas in a pipe? At the moment the gas valve can only lessen the pressure. I've thinking on it and searching around, but haven't come up with anything just yet.

You can use a valve - close it, let the gas build up (pockets of the same gas type will merge) then release it.

It is also possible to make a device that will only accept one pocket of gas every N seconds and release it on the other end, letting the gas collect before entering. But you need to use some other type of gas in it that blocks the flow, and a filter that will send that blocking gas back in the loop - so it uses power and you must not send that one gas into it or it will fail.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

You can use a valve - close it, let the gas build up (pockets of the same gas type will merge) then release it.

I'd like it to be automated. It sounds like your "valve" solution requires me to manually open the valve periodically. That's the part where I'm stuck.

The other thing you mentioned sounds interesting though I'm not sure it serves the purpose of increasing pressure. If it does, could you elaborate?

I don't want to really build them and get them running but here are some blueprints. They're both based on the fact that if an output (in this case of a pipe bridge) is put on a passing pipe, it is blocked by gas pockets coming through the pipe.

SImpler design with, one filter:

mXzBCSY.jpg

Let's say you use chlorine as the blocking gas. Set the filter to sort out chlorine, and set up the valve so there is continuous line of chlorine pockets and one small gap. The chlorine circulating in the loop will prevent the gas coming from above from entering the loop until the gap appears, then pockets of gas will pass through to exactly fill the gap. You can manipulate size of the gap with the valve.

More complex design with two filters:

Qc9ZifG.jpg

set both filters to filter chlorine and set up the valve so it produces uninterrupted flow of chlorine pockets. The gas will build up before the right gas bridge until the left filter clogs. Then the valve will run out of gas and will stop producing chlorine, and the way for the accumulated gas will open until chlorine again gets to the valve. The left pipe bridge is there only to separate the concentrator from your other circuitry as there are both inputs and outputs mixed on the pipe and that might confuse the rest of the pipework.

I believe I understand what you're saying, thanks for the run down.

In your first picture, you're saying I first let in a "blocking gas" which will create a sort of "revolving door" within the looping portion of the pipe. I then can input my target gas to be pressurized and, while the blocking gas is in the blocking phase of its loop, the target gas will pressurize. That's very clever.

To compensate for the gap that will be caused during the blocking period, I could create another loop that is timed to open up just as the other loop is closing and merge the two outputs into a single pipe.

Complicated, but this is at least functional.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

SImpler design with, one filter:

mXzBCSY.jpg

More complex design with two filters:

Qc9ZifG.jpg

Liked that idea, here some energy free for the first one, 5x gas compression <= 200 g/s input.

8awP81U.png

The only problem is that you need to know the input gas pressure, if it will be more that compressor can handle, then it will stop (will work slower than it can work in perfect solution). What is advantage of second solution against first?

3 minutes ago, PVD said:

The only problem is that you need to know the input gas pressure

If you use less than 1 kg of the blocking gas, you can regulate size of the gap with the valve to anything between 1 tile gap and 1 tile blocked.

4 minutes ago, PVD said:

What is advantage of second solution against first?

It will always achieve maximum possible gas pressure. Especially if you make the pipe between the first filter and the bridge long enough so there is long enough buffer when it starts passing the collected gas. I only made it two sections long but it should be at least about four tiles longer than the pipe from the first filter to the valve.

1 hour ago, Slight said:

To compensate for the gap that will be caused during the blocking period, I could create another loop that is timed to open up just as the other loop is closing and merge the two outputs into a single pipe.

If you have enough production to fill the pipe, you don't need any gadgets - just route all the production to that single pipe and pockets of the same gas will merge. These are more for cases when you have production less than what the pipe can transfer and instead of constant stream of small pockets you want larger pocket every once in a while.

Archived