Character Concept : Wimsa, the troubled

Wimsa would be a mid-adolescent girl with deep brown medium length hair, bound in a single ponytail draping down her back. She wears large round lens spectacles, a pale red sweater vest and thick pale grey shorts. Her face is evenly shaped and exceedingly earnest. She likes nature and collecting things, and is seldom critical or judgmental. Although she distinctly distrusts males above her age grouping.

Base Sanity : 50

Base Hunger : 100

Base Health :120

Wimsa is an avid kleptomaniac, and her gameplay revolves around item management. Wimsa gains a silent 1.5 sanity increase for every item she picks up, as having the sanity up sound proc endlessly would be horrifying. While standing around items on the ground for more then a second, she will start to lose sanity at 1 per second for each item in proximity to her. Wimsa yields one extra item from harvesting from natural resources, and she recovers a hundred percent of the items from deconstructing things.

Wimsa starts off with a satchel which takes up her back item slot, and it holds a maximum of twelve additional items.

When Wimsa picks up items successively she slowly begins to move towards having an episode. As she picks things up, her standard idle position will feature her shivering; and when she is walking her head will occasionally twitch. Picking up an item increases this counter by one, and if she has not picked up an item in three seconds it will begin to decrease by one per second. If the counter reaches twenty Wimsa will spiral into an episode, increasing her movement and functioning speed by thirty percent, and damage by thirty percent. The episode will last 20 seconds. When it ends, she will fall asleep briefly and when she awakes her sanity will be reduced to 10.

Wimsa is designed to be a gatherer who depends and specializes in collecting and managing items. Her breakdowns allowing her to collect even more items even faster in bursts, or they can be used to aid in blitz combat. While she could function independently just fine, her benefit in a group would be the specific roll of collecting or harvesting items for everybody else.

To put this in the nicest way i can, this character is overpowered. 1.5 sanity for every item she picks up? did you mean to say every NEW, not-yet-picked item, or literally any item in general? Cause if that's the case, i can just drop a few stacks of flint on the ground and get infinite sanity. Getting 100% of the items from deconstructing things? Oh, so you mean like a toned-down version of the ENDGAME RUINS staff with VERY LIMITED uses? Can't see anything wrong here!

One extra item from natural resources. So if i'm getting this right, this girl can get 2 pieces of food at a time from berry bushes or cactuses. Or 2 reeds at a time. or grass, or twigs, or anything. ooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaay.

And the episode you described isn't even that bad. I guess it could hinder early-game collecting and the sanity trick i explained earlier (though not really because most of the time you're gonna be running around and not collecting everything from one spot), but it's also extremely helpful. 30% increase to speed, and.. functioning speed? (i'm assuming this means things like chopping trees or picking grass) the downside to it is that you fall asleep for some time. Considering that this girl gets sanity from picking things up and gets one extra of any natural food (say hello to 4 juicy berries per bush) it's way easy to counteract her downsides. Pick stuff up for sanity, eat the bajillions of berries you have in the fridge and live like a king.

The downsides really aren't so.. "down". Oh wow, she loses sanity around objects on the floor. Unless it's day 2 and you've started a base without chests, this really isn't a problem. Her low base stats aren't that terrible if you consider that Maxwell, a *collector* type of character meant for quick and easy gathering is easily outmatched both in efficiency and health by whimsy miss Wimsa over here. The low sanity is just a cheap way of trying to make this character worse; this number doesn't really make a lick of difference if you consider the fact that she literally gets one and a half sanity for every item she picks up. The hunger? Again, not a lick of difference if you consider that she can get double the food in half the time.

Don't even get me started on the satchel.

Here are some ideas to better balance this character:

• Remove the sanity gain from picking up items
  • Make it so that getting one extra of a resource is only a 33% chance or lower
  • Make the episodes worse- cut down the time to 15 seconds, and set her HP to 75 and sanity to 10 after the episode
  • Cut down her HP to 100
  • Again, turn "gets all the resources from deconstructing" into "has a chance (43% perhaps) to drop one extra of any resource while hammering (NOT using the deconstruction staff)"
  • Small changes, but make the cooldown before losing the "episode" meter 5 seconds instead of 3

To outbalance these new downsides, you could:

• Make her episode boosts 40% from 30%
  • Boost her hunger to 113

So that's my very long opinion on your character. Too glowingly overpowered, she'd probably fit right in with the rest of the steam workshop lel

Archived