So, when will Hydrogen become explosive?

Hydrogen gas, while certainly a problem in the current game what with being unbreathable, seems to currently be missing perhaps its most dangerous aspect - namely, the ability to turn the entirety of your base into the Hindenburg Disaster. The batteries alone are something that raw hydrogen should be nowhere near, what with all the sparks they emit! Let alone the literal open flames of coal burners, and goodness knows what other ignition hazards that may exist in present and future updates. At the very least, it would be a logical way to make Hydrogen more than just floaty CO2. :p

On a simular note, will there be more stress behaviours for dupes in the final release? I could easily see a Pyromaniac trait show up once fire physics becomes a thing, as well as just generally more diverse and subtle things that could happen. But overall I am very hyped for what future updates will make this game!

This is a game about dying horribly in space with a detailed gas and fluid simulation and a focus on emergent gameplay. I can't think of another game that needs fire and explosions as badly as this one.

"  I can't think of another game that needs fire and explosions as badly as this one "

Totally second that assessment. If I recall my physics lessons correctly, Hydrogen has one of the largest variations in flammability when in oxygen, from ~5% - ~95%

I agree that hydrogen should be explosive, a small "experiment" my chemistry teacher once did comes to mind that had my ears ringing :D And while I agree that it would make sense to have it ignite from the sparking batteries, keeping hydrogen away from them seems like a real pain, considering how early you build them and how likely they will be in the center of your colony as a result. Maybe a better ignition hazard would be the cole generator and similar buildings that might be added in the future. You could probably feasibly restructure your colony to have the batteries somewhere below your electrolyzers before setting those up, but I'm not sure that would be too much fun.

Archived