Idea for much later... multiplayer

I understand the code is rigid and set up for singleplayer. I understand game development takes forever.

I propose that just like DS, after a while a co-op is made. Something like there is the "host" or administrator that controls the game just as normal. However the Duplicants are the extra players. This duplicant playstyle would be very reminiscent of DS as you would have to balance your own needs as well as the colony's needs.

AGAIN, THIS IS AN IDEA FOR MUCH LATER.

I was wondering how long it would take before I saw this suggestion :p

Interestingly, because ONI is built using Unity, there is a lot of support available for the inclusion of multiplayer. It's certainly doable. But it's how the multiplayer experience would work that's the tricky bit. You'd need to figure out how to players decide on the current game speed, and what happens when a player logs out. How do you deal with trolling (a big problem in public games of DST) and so on. 

On the subject of player control. The admin would give individual players limits on abilities just like Duplicants. And if a player logged in they could override the AI of a random Duplicants. When they leave, the AI would resume it's duties.

As for game speed, it would come up as a vote.

If there was a "Colony Browser" you could host one or join one. If you were caught trolling, your joining privileges could be limited. The admin would also be able to kick players at any time.

And how would you account for the use of resources in a base while a player is offline? Sure, dupes will water the plants and feed themselves, but they won't go digging for new resources without instructions, and coming back to a dead base because they ran out of water would be very annoying. Unless the multiplayer was cooperative, sharing control of the dupes and resources, I'm not sure how it would work.

Archived