Water Physics

Water should flow more quickly under the pressure of gravity. But currently water behaves more like liquid slime or jello pudding. Just my thoughts from playing the game and watching a few streams. Not to mention it makes flooding your base very slow and unconventional way of dying, (not that it should be encouraged.) But sometimes you need to end it in a dramatic way. Imagine a swift and coursing river of death drowning the poor duplicants.

Hahaha ...... yeah well Im with you dude !, water looks like slime, would be nice to be more fluid, but maybe it is meant to be like this (?) to look more cartoony (idk) but a little liquidy would be nice (as also to have the jelly aspect)

I thought the water flow was very wonky starting off, then I noticed a few games being named "antfarm" so i thought maybe they were implying that my duplicates were just very small, like ants, so then the water flow kinda made sense, crappy but logical. Id like to see that change as well.

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, I have the most issue with water trying to pass through narrow gaps. Sometimes it A) doesn't completely finish flowing, or goes quite slow, making it look slime-like as others have said, and B) it has weird surface tension and undulates between being almost nonexistent and touching the top of the narrow gap, completely covering it. The two attached pictures are the water snapping to the gap's top and back down. This is not actively flowing water, it's been sitting here for more than a day. It undulates between these two extreme states every .5 second or so. Even by the ladder, you can see the surface tension grabs onto the left rock face pretty aggressively. That part isn't waving much at all.

So yeah, I wish it would finish flowing down that face a bit better, but at the very least, the waving should be gentle ripples rather than surface-tension monstrosities. Which I mean in the most endearing way possible.

20170221132630_1.jpg

20170221132650_1.jpg

It is also a concern to me, the water act a lot like a gel, like a very high viscosity liquid. I actually don't mind for contaminated water, that might be containing some nasty stuff increasing density/viscosity, but for water....

@zaig : don't know how much the game is comitting to sciency nerdiness, but depending on its temperature, water traps or release CO2 (won't go into details on how and why with Chemistry, for instance, that's why ocean warming up is increasing CO2 in atmosphere, increasing green house effect, increasing temperature of ocean, increansing... ).

Haven't noticed it myself, but will check that out on next run ;)

22 hours ago, zaig said:

One thing that I hate on water is that it generate carbon dioxide, like what is that ? Opened a pocket of water, got the oxigen out and it constantly flows with carbon dioxide ....why ?

I think that is just existing CO2 falling into a pit you just opened.

I think alot of issues with liquids could be fixed by making it not "stick" to surfaces above it. After that it would only be an issue with making it "flow" downward better according to gravity.

I thought it was behaving in kind of a small scale VS vacuums and air pressure? Granted, I wouldn't cry if it moved a little faster, but I think I would prefer more of a move towards "smoothing it out." Like the ability to make wedge shaped blocks, so ramps and funnels could be made.

2 hours ago, Vilda said:

I think that is just existing CO2 falling into a pit you just opened.

I get huge amounts of CO2 from water pools ...I was thinking it appears because duplicates take water from time to tipe (to make food etc) but looks more CO 2 than normal, the surface is not to the bottom so I dont think CO2 falls down there

8 hours ago, AncelinDouvetel said:

@zaig : don't know how much the game is comitting to sciency nerdiness, but depending on its temperature, water traps or release CO2 (won't go into details on how and why with Chemistry, for instance, that's why ocean warming up is increasing CO2 in atmosphere, increasing green house effect, increasing temperature of ocean, increansing... ).

Haven't noticed it myself, but will check that out on next run ;)

LOL ....well yeah man, but oceans are alive, micro organism, algae and so on that when dead it emits heat. Scientifically talking, a cave water (that I presume was there for a huge amount of time in the game ) has no life within (or else it would have generated the CO2 long time ago) 

Archived