Make Sand from Sandstone lategame

Just wanted to share this:

Im on cycle 144 and running out of sand for filtration. There is very few bits left in the starting biome, but after that it will be contaminated air+water for my dupes. If only i could mesh the ~200 tons of Sandstone... or use something else for filtration.

Makes me sad, since i managed to run on very limited water, coal and algae and could go on much longer... if only, SAND! Who would have thought? :D

I am also wondering why sand is only in the starting biome and why the starting biome is unique. Wouldn't it be nice to dig out a mile just to find a second friendlyish place to settle?

I fully agree with you. Sand is currently the main thing that ends a run.

Early on I need the sandstone for building. But as the game progresses I need to make an absurd amount of chests to store all the "random" minerals that I'm not using anyway, except for granite for decor. It would be amazing if I could start replacing all the sandstone structures with the other minerals and then use that sandstone to create sand. Maybe a pulverizer that works on power to turn it into sand and they could even add an other step in cleaning this sand to have to get it's filter effect back.

Archived