Help with my character mod, please??

So I have been working on my very first character mod! I'm quite excited to see the outcome and how the little guy works out in the workshop, but of course being so new to the programming process, I have come across a few bugs and tricks I honestly have no idea how to fix, and I could really use some help otherwise this week's worth of tiresome work would all be for nothing but an incomplete and buggy character. I've almost completely finished him (half-way through his dialogue and playing around with different instruments to see what might work for a voice, but it has been pretty tricky with the limited amount of people uploading instrument sounds playing random voice-like notes rather than tunes), and thought this would be a good time to ask for help so I can fix them as I'm wrapping this project up

Thankfully from a very helpful tutorial, I've been able to figure out most of it myself, but let's discuss my character a little and the bugs he's having 

This is my character, here, a greedy little so-and-so with lower sanity and health, which balances out with a decreased hunger drain rate, who loves gold to the point he couldn't live without it

Bugs that need to be fixed

-All the sample templates displayed perfectly fine before I edited them, and even though I edited all in the same manor, some of them now don't display, such as the oval portrait and name title on the customization screen, which are completely invisible, and the preview icon of the mod that shows an empty square when I replaced such preview icon with my character in it. I find it weird that some icons displayed like they were supposed to and some didn't. I saved them all in the png files like they were originally

-His ghost sprite is invisible. I've noticed others have had this problem in the past and it involved some form of coding (not sure if this was before character modding was made easier with the template or not) ?? I had no idea what they were talking about. Spriter previews show that his ghost sprite should be working and displaying fine, but it's not. This is a pretty major thing and I honestly don't have a clue on fixing it

Possibly the most important thing of all isn't a bug at all, but more of a perk I want to install. The perk that makes him stand out from other characters. It is very unusual which is why there's no tutorials actually specifically telling you how that I know of lol, and I know it must involve entering a script of coding somewhere in his files, but I don't know what commands to give

Unless he contains gold in his inventory, he will have a constant 5%/min sanity drop, or the same drain that you receive from dusk. I found it as an interesting perk, but I have no idea how to add it to his character, which disappoints me as I thought it would be a nice addition to match his personality 

If you could help me with any of these problems, I would love you to no end! Hey I might even draw you something if a reward makes you more interested c:

So, first advice is : if you have problem with a mod, it's usually better to link the mod so others players could look at the code and fix things. For example, seeing why some anim doesn't show or why some image isn't displayed is usually a lot easier with the mod linked.

For the perk, you want a drain of sanity if he doesn't have gold in inventory. I guess it's possible. I found this

So there is a code provided, but in olds topics there are some king of strange formating, meaning you will maybe not be able to use exactly this code, but it's probably a good way to see what you need. I hope it can help.

@TheRaptorAlpha

For the sanity loss when not holding gold: Look at the edit.

Spoiler

assert(false, "Read post next time")

inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = function(inst)
	if inst.components.inventory then
		return not inst.components.inventory:Has("goldnugget",1) and TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT or 0
	end
end

Goes into yourcharacter.lua master_postinit. As for the ghost, maybe you forgot to include the anim in your assets, or the spriter project doesn't matches your character's ghost build. Can you upload your mod here?

EDIT: Upon reading the post linked by @Lumina I started to feel guilty for eating so many cycles every time sanity ticks, so I came up with the following:

inst.hasgold = false

inst:ListenForEvent("itemget", function(inst, data)
		if data.item and data.item.prefab == "goldnugget" then
			inst.hasgold = true
		end
	end)

inst:ListenForEvent("itemlose", function(inst, data)
		if inst.hasgold then
			inst.hasgold = inst.components.inventory:Has("goldnugget",1)
		end
	end)

return not inst.hasgold and TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT or 0
	end

It should have the same effect, except this one doesn't scans the inventory every time sanity ticks.

Edited by Ryuushu

11 hours ago, Lumina said:

So, first advice is : if you have problem with a mod, it's usually better to link the mod so others players could look at the code and fix things. For example, seeing why some anim doesn't show or why some image isn't displayed is usually a lot easier with the mod linked.

For the perk, you want a drain of sanity if he doesn't have gold in inventory. I guess it's possible. I found this

So there is a code provided, but in olds topics there are some king of strange formating, meaning you will maybe not be able to use exactly this code, but it's probably a good way to see what you need. I hope it can help.

Oooo, I didn't think about giving the coding my apologies!

Thank you so much for your help and I will give it here, let me know if I skipped anything 

---modmain.lua---

PrefabFiles = {
    "wentworth",
    "wentworth_none",
}

Assets = {
    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/saveslot_portraits/wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/saveslot_portraits/wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/wentworth_silho.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/wentworth_silho.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/map_icons/wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/map_icons/wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/self_inspect_wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/self_inspect_wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/names_wentworth.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/names_wentworth.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/wentworth_none.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/wentworth_none.xml" ),

}

local require = GLOBAL.require
local STRINGS = GLOBAL.STRINGS

-- The character select screen lines
STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.wentworth = "The Greedy"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_NAMES.wentworth = "Wentworth"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_DESCRIPTIONS.wentworth = "*Scrawny\n*Well fed\n*Needs gold for sanity"
STRINGS.CHARACTER_QUOTES.wentworth = "\"Money can buy gold, and I think that's close enough!\""

-- Custom speech strings
STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WENTWORTH = require "speech_wentworth"

-- The character's name as appears in-game 
STRINGS.NAMES.wentworth = "Esc"

AddMinimapAtlas("images/map_icons/wentworth.xml")

-- Add mod character to mod character list. Also specify a gender. Possible genders are MALE, FEMALE, ROBOT, NEUTRAL, and PLURAL.
AddModCharacter("wentworth", "MALE")

---wentworth.lua---

local MakePlayerCharacter = require "prefabs/player_common"

local assets = {
    Asset("SCRIPT", "scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua"),
}
local prefabs = {}

-- Custom starting items
local start_inv = {
}

-- When the character is revived from human
local function onbecamehuman(inst)
    -- Set speed when reviving from ghost (optional)
    inst.components.locomotor:SetExternalSpeedMultiplier(inst, "wentworth_speed_mod", 1)
end

local function onbecameghost(inst)
    -- Remove speed modifier when becoming a ghost
   inst.components.locomotor:RemoveExternalSpeedMultiplier(inst, "wentworth_speed_mod")
end

-- When loading or spawning the character
local function onload(inst)
    inst:ListenForEvent("ms_respawnedfromghost", onbecamehuman)
    inst:ListenForEvent("ms_becameghost", onbecameghost)

if inst:HasTag("playerghost") then
        onbecameghost(inst)
    else
        onbecamehuman(inst)
    end
end

-- This initializes for both the server and client. Tags can be added here.
local common_postinit = function(inst) 
    -- Minimap icon
    inst.MiniMapEntity:SetIcon( "wentworth.tex" )
end

-- This initializes for the server only. Components are added here.
local master_postinit = function(inst)
    -- choose which sounds this character will play
    inst.soundsname = "wickerbottom"

-- Uncomment if "wathgrithr"(Wigfrid) or "webber" voice is used
    --inst.talker_path_override = "dontstarve_DLC001/characters/"

-- Stats    
    inst.components.health:SetMaxHealth(120)
    inst.components.hunger:SetMax(150)
    inst.components.sanity:SetMax(150)

-- Damage multiplier (optional)
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = .80

-- Hunger rate (optional)
    inst.components.hunger.hungerrate = 1.25 * TUNING.WILSON_HUNGER_RATE

inst.OnLoad = onload
    inst.OnNewSpawn = onload

end

return MakePlayerCharacter("wentworth", prefabs, assets, common_postinit, master_postinit, start_inv)

Or if it would be easier just to make a zip file with the entire mod, let me know!

6 hours ago, Ryuushu said:

@TheRaptorAlpha

For the sanity loss when not holding gold: Look at the edit.

Reveal hidden contents

assert(false, "Read post next time")

if inst.components.inventory then
		return not inst.components.inventory:Has("goldnugget",1) and TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT or 0
	end
end

Goes into yourcharacter.lua master_postinit. As for the ghost, maybe you forgot to include the anim in your assets, or the spriter project doesn't matches your character's ghost build. Can you upload your mod here?

EDIT: Upon reading the post linked by @Lumina I started to feel guilty for eating so many cycles every time sanity ticks, so I came up with the following:

inst.hasgold = false

inst:ListenForEvent("itemget", function(inst, data)
		if data.item and data.item.prefab == "goldnugget" then
			inst.hasgold = true
		end
	end)

inst:ListenForEvent("itemlose", function(inst, data)
		if inst.hasgold then
			inst.hasgold = inst.components.inventory:Has("goldnugget",1)
		end
	end)

return not inst.hasgold and TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT or 0
	end

It should have the same effect, except this one doesn't scans the inventory every time sanity ticks.

This works beautifully! I can't thank you enough. In a reply below I have given a link to my entire mod if you'd prefer to give your insight on what could be going wrong with the ghost or the images not displaying 

Is there anything you'd like in return? I have an art tablet and I'd be more than happy to doodle you something. I know it isn't much, but I'd love to repay you in the best way I can