Do You Think This Overhaul Would Make Wolfgang Better At His Own Game?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should This Overhaul Be Done?

• Yes, but it could use some work the concept, this would sway a majority of players to try him out!
    • No, Micro-managing Wolfgang's hunger is a skill, experienced players should know
    • Meh, I say that i have a better idea! Therefore I will majestically reply!

Wolfgang is arguably one of the best characters late game, alongside WX-78, Wickerbottom (atleast that's the current best meta).

Although he's quite hard to manage early game he can out-shine late game.

mememojo2.PNG

His perk revolves around his hunger being full, the thresh-hold of his mighty form starts at 225 and his maximum mighty form is at 300 hunger.

His perk of 2x Damage is outstanding! However it decreases linearly which can quite annoying as he has a faster hunger drain in 3x

Here's a chart of all Wolfgang's forms and hunger rates.

latest?cb=20131017222743

His proclaimed magnificent 2X DMG is only available at 300 Hunger! 

Otherwise he will be dealing decimal damage of difference in less than a second if the hunger goes down below from 300!

Not only does his damage go down linearly, but also his health goes down linearly, from a whopping 300 HP  to in a few seconds a 30-20 HP noticeable difference of 200-299 HP. 

This linear perk is quite annoying and enforces experienced players to be micro-managing his mighty form every 5-10 seconds, which turns Wolfgang into a somewhat unreliable combat character. This linear perk, even affects his speed boost! It isn't an constant 25% speed boost, it's around 1-25% under 300 hunger!

In all honesty, Wolfgang is not the only character who can be seen as somewhat unreliable or doesn't have their perks refined yet, 

maxresdefault.jpg*COUGH*

*COUGH* latest?cb=20141213201518&path-prefix=vi

latest?cb=20130602060445*COUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*keep in mind I don't main those, my opinion isn't really valid

*Clears throat*, heading back on topic, as a Wolfgang main, I have seen his only good perk somewhat not refined enough or have been well-thought mechanically done.

latest?cb=20140125113156

I have been doing research, analyzing Wolfgang's mechanic his damage outputs, his hunger rate into gameplay and have been able to conclude a solution to turn him into a more reliable character.

latest?cb=20140125113238

Through play testing and somehow being able to simulate my idea for a more reliable Wolfgang, by editing the game's files and going directly into Wolfgang's programming. (Note: Wolfgang's Code is the same through out Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together, the files i'm using is from DS)

Old Wolfgang Programming

hackerman.PNG

This should be relatively simple, all of this are his numeric stat values.

For Vanilla: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\data\scripts

For the RoG DLC: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0001\scripts

For the Shipwrecked DLC:C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0002\scripts

NOTE: THE ROG DLC AND VANILLA DLC HAVE THE SAME STRUCTURE OF WOLFGANG PROGRAMMING, THE SHIPWRECKED HAS A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WAY OF PROGRAMMING, HOWEVER, THE DST, VANILLA AND ROG SHARE THE SAME PROGRAMMING OF WOLFGANG

(And the Don't Starve Together Directoy C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\scripts)

Then this next screenshot is the dreaded linear mechanic programming of Wolfgang. 

linearity hackerman.PNG

(C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0002\scripts\prefabs) for the shipwrecked DLC)

For DST: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\scripts\prefabs)

not a smart wolf.pngI barely know anything of programming but judging how this second screenshot is directly tied in to tuning.lua I will explain what each highlighted mumbo jumbo code means, to the best of my ability.

The red section must indicate the damage multiplier of Wolfgang's might between 1.25x and 2x damage difference, the 1.25x and 2x damage isn't said explicitly there but on the first tuning.lua the values are listed there.

Yellow indicates Wolfgang's change in hunger when his health goes from 200-300 HP and how his hunger rate also changes linearly from 225 hunger to 300 Hunger. 

For example, at 300 hunger, his rate is 3x, but at 299 his rate is 2.99x, and so on and on.

The scale is literally Wolfgang's abnormal size's change that's 25% bigger than any character when 300 hunger, but as the dreaded linear mechanic is there, he also becomes only 24% bigger than any other character at 299 hunger.

This is similar to the mighty form, but this is actually Wolfgang's wimpy mode, all this green text is his changes of damage, health and hunger when wimpy.

New Suggested Wolfgang Programming

new hackerman.PNG

The upper image is once again tuning.lua and I edited the stats of Wolfgang to benefit the change I will explain afterwards

For the wolfgang.lua I have no idea how to absolutely get rid of the linear mechanic, with the dream of turning the hunger rate, and health or damage into a constant one.

However, I did edit a small part.

sanity hacker.PNG

This wolfgang.lua is from Don't Starve.

sanity hackerdst.PNG

This is the wolfgang.lua from Don't Starve Together.

Solution For Wolfgang's Linear Perk Problem

His starting hunger should be changed from 200 to 125 in order to make early days more focused on food, in order to give a challenge to earn that 300 hunger.

hunger.jpg

My solution is to make Wolfgang only become mighty once he hits 300 hunger! This is edited through tuning.lua in his hunger thresh minimum being 299, because you have to need at least 1 more hunger point in order to change form than the current thresh-hold value.

Why? Because this way he truly can be mighty when his belly is full, also so if the linear mechanic is removed, he deals constant 2X damage when 300-101 hunger, while having a 3x constant hunger rate and constant 300 HP.

This way, people can't abuse his hunger system and only keep his old thresh-hold from 225 hunger start to 250 and have constant 2x dmg, that would make wolfgang op! It's better if he started mighty at 300, and had constant damage from 300-101, 101 hunger being where he turns from mighty into normal.

hunger 2.jpg

Notice how usually Wolfgang should be mighty at 286.

hunger3.jpg

NOW THIS IS TRUE STRENGTH!

The reason why I changed the thresh-hold from 225 to 300, is because he can have his constant 2X Damage from 300 to 101, his mighty ends only at 101 hunger, which basically means that you should only go mighty, when you need to! Because at 300 hunger, he can only revert back when 101 hunger, while having 2X constant damage, 25% constant speed boost, 300 constant HP, and his constant 25% growth of size!

hunger4.jpg

hunger5.jpg

hunger6.jpg

Ideally letting Wolfgang reach 100 hunger is when Wolfgang has finished doing his combat and no longer has the 2x Damage and no longer has 300 HP.

In wimpy mode when starting he should have 100 HP, but it seems due to the linear perk which I haven't been able to get rid of, he has 200 HP in this screen shot.

100 HP as Wimpy and having 0.5x constant damage multiplier is ideal to enforce players to use this form only to heal or to punish players for not feeding Wolfgang enough!

hunger7.jpg

I lowered Wimpy Wolfgang's from 150 to 100, to heal up or punish players in this new Wolfgang overhaul, however he should have 100 HP from 0 hunger to 100, but due me not being able to change the linear perk in wolfgang.lua, this should be the idea with the screenshot but when having 0 to 100 hunger, a constant 0.5 x dmg and a Max HP of 100.

The last change I could do possibly was change Wolfgang's sanity negative modifier from 10% more afraid of darkness and monsters, to 25% more.

The reason why I did this is because due to Wolfgang's constant 2X dmg and 300 HP, due to him ending fighters alot more quicker than the old wolfgang programming, it's a much more compensating downside.

Conclusion

This new Wolfgang hunger overhaul and sanity downside modifier, would make him a much more reliable combat character and change his focus from micromanaging his hunger every 5-10 seconds. It would make his hunger perk, a much more easier to calculate, and deal with than calculating every single second of hunger loss the damage you do and how many hits it would take to kill other mobs.

The starting 125 hunger would also be a challenge for experienced and new players to change their focus into food!

Although I'm not a programmer at all, the linear perk I wasn't able to modify or change from lack of coding knowledge, please reply or help me out on that part, so I could possibly mod this concept!

Please reply if you agree with this overhaul or disagree!

Don't forget to vote!

giphy.gif

UPDATE

By simplifying Wolfgang's code in wolfgang.lua

I managed to remove the linear perk and have the constant damage, health, and speed boost, even constant 3x hunger rate!

I even was able to do so in DST!

I can submit this concept to the workshop if I learn how to package the code...

code.PNG

2nd Update

I realized that 25% from darkness and monsters wasn't enough, therefore I changed it to 33% more drain from darkness and monsters!

Now the sanity drain from the new programming should near to the old programming.

I'm considering changing his drain when mighty from 3X to 4X.

I keep seeing people complaining about sanity, but what is it in the first place?

1.jpg.cbe522b5f2ec183203161a84489d8e48.j

Also, on default settings food is super easy to get, especially if you favor caves life(tonns of lichen to heal up and walk in mighty form 24/7, infinite meatballs from monkeys once you get to them, huge amount of food from rabbits once you join caves and find them(which is easy if you are switching between caves and overworld gathering everything you need for midgame base in caves on the end of first week))

Personally Im walking sane only when Im not planning to fight stuff, gathering materials or building stuff at camp. Aaaand when fighting dfly/toad of course. Otherwise — KEEP STOCKPILING DAT NIGHTMARE FUEL! You wont even need it all, but having a full chest of it makes people envy you.

You don't understand, I love Wolfgang but his linear perk makes his damage out put almost annoyingly unpredictable and his health too.

This overhaul is to make his dis-benefit (sanity loss) 33% faster because now his 3x hunger rate is constant, and so is his health and damage output.

Honestly since Wolfgang is simple minded he should also have his sanity max set from 200 to 100, I'm thinking of adding it because with the coding i'm playing with he's almost too perfect.

I've been playing this this new coding and it feels satisfying to play with, his health 300 and his damage 2x lets me predict how many hits it will take exactly  to kill an mob.

I think it's because I might have O.C.D since it makes me anxious seeing his hunger be at 288 and he having 280 max HP.

Otherwise his damage multiplier hasn't been increased from his maximum or his speed hasn't increased from 25%.

I think I confused you, this overhaul doesn't make him starve slower, it makes him starve faster since his hunger rate when mighty is a constant of 3x rather than 2.99x, 2.98x, and so on.

Wolfgang's linear mechanic is incredibly annoying to me, and micromanaging is tedious, it's a bit off-putting to be honest.

I didn't decrease his sanity loss, I increased his sanity loss by 22% because of this overhaul.

Archived