[Help] How to stop obedience decay?

i have the below code in my mod that stops obedience from being decreased upon certain actions.

TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_STARVE_OBEDIENCE = 0
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_FEED_OBEDIENCE = TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_FEED_OBEDIENCE*levelbonus
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_OVERFEED_OBEDIENCE = 0
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_ATTACKED_BY_PLAYER_OBEDIENCE = 0
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_BRUSHED_OBEDIENCE = TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_BRUSHED_OBEDIENCE*levelbonus
TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_SHAVED_OBEDIENCE = 0

But i can't figure out how to stop the passive decay. In the domesticatable.lua file there's this line: 

local OBEDIENCE_DECAY_RATE = -1/(TUNING.TOTAL_DAY_TIME * 2)

But when I try domesticatable.OBEDIENCE_DECAY_RATE = 0 the game crashes

oh okay :D

Unfortunately I never domesticated a beefalo, so I have absolutely no clue how this happens, what happens, what is normal and what you want to achieve =/

I guess domestication of an beefalo is similar to giving meat to an pig? It will follow you for a certain amount of time?
But it seems you have "domestication" values and "obedience" values.. what is the difference of them? And why the devs wrote in domesticatable.lua "obedience still decays even if domestication decay is paused" ?

Anyway:
You can't change the "local OBEDIENCE_DECAY_RATE" because it is a local. That does mean it can only be accessed withing that script and nowhere else.
It seems the devs are working on changing this, since over it you can see the note:
"-- TODO: Make these configurable from the prefab"
So I guess the easiest way would be to wait until the devs made this change. Maybe you can ask them directly here in forum if they have an ETA when this change will be released.

The other alternative would be to change all functions that make use of the OBEDIENCE_DECAY_RATE and replace this value in those functions.  But the problem is, that the function "UpdateDomestication" where it is used, is also a local thing...
There is a hack from recezib which allows to also change local functions, but it is a bit complicated and should only be the last solution if nothing else is possible.

So maybe you can change other values? How about chaning "minobedience" ? Would this help?

Edited by Serpens

I guess it crashes because OBEDIENCE_DECAY_RATE  is a local value. If you do a quick, easy little search in the file you will be able to find where that value is used, which is a local function which is called by a public one. So, you could do:

AddComponentPostInit("domesticatable", function(component)
	local oldCheckAndStartTask = component.CheckAndStartTask
	component.CheckAndStartTask = function(component)
		oldCheckAndStartTask()
		component:CancelTask()
	end
end)

CheckAndStartTask() starts the obedience decay task, so we just call this function for a moment (in case other mod uses it for some reason) and then we cancel the decay task right away.

I might be missing some params since I don't really play around with components, but the answer should be more or less like this.

Edited by Ryuushu
Trying to index a local value from outside, missing some params

Yes, the idea of Ryuushu is good.
I guess the code with "component:CancelTask()" won't work, since he did not defined which task.
So I guess the following code might be better:

AddComponentPostInit("domesticatable", function(self)
    local oldCheckAndStartTask = self.CheckAndStartTask
    self.CheckAndStartTask = function(self)
        oldCheckAndStartTask(self) -- will create the self.decaytask
        if self.decaytask~=nil and GetModConfigData("nodecay") then -- now we cancel it 
    	    self.decaytask:Cancel()
            self.decaytask = nil
        end
    end
end)

(it does not matter if you call it "component" or "self", it is just a name you can choose)
The downside is, that the this way not only the obediance is stopped, but the whole stuff that is done in the "UpdateDomestication" function.

edit:
Ah, I just saw that the domesticatable indeed has a function that is called "CancelTask", which does exactly what I worte in my code :D. That's why component:CancelTask() will work. So code from Ryuushu should work. Sry.

Edited by Serpens