REQUEST -- Traditional Separate Caves and Ruins

Klei, I understand that you merged Caves and Ruins onto the same level for performance reasons ...

... but some of us are fully capable of splitting the cluster's shards across multiple machines and have no performance limitations ...

... and so the sexiest thing ever would be if you could bring back the traditional 3-Level system Surface/Caves/Ruins ...

... I am thinking it would just require two more preset options in worldgenoverride.lua similar to preset = "DST_CAVE", one each for Caves and Ruins ...

... and maybe a short walkthrough for how to hook it all together, similar to Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Linux ...

... in fact, I am wondering if maybe it is already possible to do today, by anyone, without any change to code base, if someone has the know-how to manually fabricate the necessary worldgenoverride.lua files manually without a preset ...

... even if it is necessary to manually spawn the Migration Portal from Caves to Ruins ...

... so if Klei could consider adding the presets, or if anyone has manually created worldgenoverride.lua files, and could provide walkthrough of how to connect it all together, you've got at least one guy here who would host a public server ...

16 hours ago, Maarx said:

... in fact, I am wondering if maybe it is already possible to do today, by anyone, without any change to code base, if someone has the know-how to manually fabricate the necessary worldgenoverride.lua files manually without a preset ...

... even if it is necessary to manually spawn the Migration Portal from Caves to Ruins ...

Easy enough.

Get a two-sharded server. Let's call it Alice.

Get another two-sharded server. Let's call it Bob.

Set Alice to whatever you want, paying close attention to the caves.

Set Bob's cave level to be bereft of anything (sans nightmare fissures and depth worm attacks).

Generate both servers (on different saveslots, obviously).

Put the contents of Alice's slave cluster into Bob's master cluster and edit its server.ini to have the line "is master = true" (instead of false). <= This ensures users of Bob start in the caves using the preset you chose for Alice.

Now go into Bob's original caves (the ones held by its slave cluster). Spawn all the ruins prefabs you want, where you want etc.

You now have a cave-only world where cave stuff is on the first level and ruins - on the second.

Archived