Server's Ping Shows as '???' Instead of Number

My dedicated server's ping shows as '???' instead of a number, in the server browser.

The server itself functions just fine, I think, and appears in Server List for everyone, is just a problem with ping showing as '???' instead of a number.

Hopefully the question is simpler because it is not locally hosted on my home network, so we are not dealing with bogus civilian routers or ISPs or Windows.

Rather, the server is AWS EC2 t2.small Ubuntu 14.04 (ami-2d39803a) set up exactly according to  Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Linux.

Attached are screenshots of my Security Group's Inbound and Outbound Rules. [outbound.PNG] [inbound.PNG]

I think the Security Group's settings are more than generous so I am unsure what the issue is.

Of particular note, I am permitting "All ICMP" - "All" and the server responds perfectly to command-line "ping" command.

If anyone would be able to provide guidance, it would be great.

If I am so lucky for Klei to take a look at this, I think with this info you should be able to replicate the same issue in your own AWS, even in a personal Free Tier.

outbound.PNG

inbound.PNG

My current suspicion is that the server must remain up for a certain amount of time before the Ping changes from "???" to a number.

I am starting and stopping it on-demand and I think that is why it always seems to be "???".

Haven't tested yet, will test and return.

I was able to fix it!

I checked "server_log.txt" and found entries indicating the server was binding to slightly different ports than I'd expect, sometimes different clusters binding differently, despite no explicit configuration on my side.

Regardless, I just expanded my firewall rules accordingly, and now it is showing as Ping:32 instead of Ping:???.

Attached screenshots showing my server_log.txt for various clusters, plus my new firewall rules, inbound and outbound.

grep.PNG

inbound_new.PNG

outbound_new.PNG

I have the same issue, my server is shown with ??? ping i tried now everything i read in some topics but still the same problem. Port forwarded every port you listet here in my router and disabled firewall and antivirus. even tried the "start as administrator" i have read in another post, but it doesn´t help. Does someone have another idea?

Archived