[Help] Character mod code: sanity regen aura?

This is my first time making a character mod, so I figured I'd ask before I do something that could critically damage my game. XD

What I want is to make this DST custom character emit a sanity aura for other characters around him, similar to what Glommer does. It just makes sense that having a friend around helps maintain one's sanity, aye? I also want him to emit warmth during the winter. Firstly, I need to know if these features are even possible. And if they are, how can I make them happen? I want this character to be largely cooperation-oriented, so I am basing his perks around assisting other players.

Thanks in advance! ^w^

Here use these :D!

inside your character.lua under the " local master_postinit = function(inst) " add

" inst:AddComponent("sanityaura") "

" inst.components.sanityaura.aura = TUNING.SANITYAURA_TINY "

You can also use " TUNING.SANITYAURA_SMALL ", " TUNING.SANITYAURA_LARGE " & " TUNING.SANITYAURA_HUGE " instead of " TUNING.SANITYAURA_TINY " ( Glommer gives off the TINY sanity aura )

For the Winter thing you can do (under the master_postinit) of your character.lua...

Add these codes in your " local function common_postinit(inst) " of your character.lua

inst:AddTag("HASHEATER")
inst:AddComponent("heater")

Add this "inst.components.heater.heat = 0" in your master_postinit above the code down below.

"inst:ListenForEvent("emote", function(inst, data)" will make it that when ever your character emotes (like type /hi in the chat)  give off heat if it's winter & no heat if it's anything else. I think emoting to get your warmness aura will help make your character feel more "cooperation-oriented"! 

inst:ListenForEvent("emote", function(inst, data)
if TheWorld.state.iswinter then
inst.components.heater.heat = 10 -- Higher the number = hotter you are.
elseif TheWorld.state.isspring or TheWorld.state.issummer or TheWorld.state.isautumn then
inst.components.heater.heat = 0 -- Makes you give no heat.
end
end)

Also, add these codes below in your master_postinit, they will make your character remove the heat aura if winter stops (then nobody never emotes then they can keep the heat aura even if it's not winter).

-- Add heat if Winter starts.
inst:WatchWorldState("startwinter", function()
inst.components.heater.heat = 10
end)

-- Remove heat if Spring starts.
inst:WatchWorldState("startspring", function()
inst.components.heater.heat = 0
end)

-- Remove heat if Summer starts.
inst:WatchWorldState("startsummer", function()
end)

-- Remove heat if Autumn starts.
inst:WatchWorldState("startautumn", function()
end)

Edited by SuperDavid

Thanks for the help! I'm brand-new to this, but I have a little experience in (very) basic programming from other projects I've done. And thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I really appreciate it! ^w^

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions that I can't answer myself. My plan for this character is for him to be immune to sanity loss from darkness or monsters, but his sanity drains very quickly when a teammate dies--probably -10/min. I also want him to be immune to freezing, but highly sensitive to heat--2.5x damage from overheating. I plan on balancing these attributes with low health, hunger, and sanity stats.

I've combed through the prefabs, but I don't see any code that would fit these attributes. Are they too complex, or did I just miss the code? I have been known to make very simple mistakes, so I wouldn't be surprised if I did. >w<

For overheating.

inst.components.temperature.hurtrate = 2.5 -- This make you take 2.5 more damage from all temp but since you should be immune to freezing it'll only affect overheating.

For no sanity loss.

inst.components.sanity.neg_aura_mult = 0 -- For monsters.
inst.components.sanity.night_drain_mult = 0 -- For night.

This should make you never freeze.

if inst.components.freezable then -- Makes you never freeze.
inst:RemoveComponent("freezable")
end 

All of these go under master_postinit of your character.lua.

46 minutes ago, VahnHR509 said:

his sanity drains very quickly when a teammate dies--probably -10/min

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to do that...but I can give you code that if he attacks another player he loses sanity 10 sanity, sorry!

Edited by SuperDavid