Dedicated Server Problems...

So, I've created a dedicated server using the steam tools provided to me through the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server steam tool. It worked fine, except for the fact caves don't seem to work, so I added some mods. Server worked fine after that. But just a few hours ago, thee dedicated server wouldn't launch correctly, due to it being "out of date". It turned out that there was an update qued for the steam tool. So, I updated it, and now every time I try to launch my server, it shuts down on it's own before I can read the text it states in the console. And when launching the dedicated server tool on it's own, it just says this:

http://pastebin.com/EYcC9CKJ

Can anyone help me with this issue?

@TapeKnot there's a distinct way to use the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server steam tool properly. Simply running the tool would only start an overworld server without caves, if you want to add caves you'd have to run another instance of the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server steam tool with specific Set Launch Options under the Properties window for the tool. Here's a guide that utilizes the steam tool, (Steam Tool Guide). Here's a guide that utilizes steamcmd, (Steamcmd Guide).

If you're getting E_INVALID_TOKEN then you just need to generate a new cluster_token.txt and place it in the dedicated server folder (based on the log you provided, its the cluster_1).

To generate the token,

• To generate a cluster_token you must
  • Open the console from a logged-in game client with the tilda key (~ / �) and type: TheNet:GenerateClusterToken()
  • This will create 'cluster_token.txt' in your client settings directory.
  • Copy this into your cluster settings directory.

I hope that helps, cheers.

Well, my cluster token is in a file called cluster_token.txt, but it is NOT in a folder called cluster_1. It's actually in a folder called MyDediServer. I made a new cluster token and put it in the file, still didn't work. Changed cluster destination from cluster_1 to MyDediServer. Still didn't work. I have no idea what is happening.

http://pastebin.com/H0yfgXtC

1 hour ago, TapeKnot said:

I made a new cluster token and put it in the file, still didn't work.

Just to make sure, you copied the cluster_token.txt file, not created a new file in target folder and copied the contents from old one, right? (The file contents ends with a zero character, which most editors ignore.)

@TapeKnot If you have it in the correct location, then also make sure that the file itself really is cluster_token.txt and NOT cluster_token.txt.txt. That has happened a few times to other people before. So make sure the filename is "cluster_token" saved as file type ".txt".

20 hours ago, Muche said:

Just to make sure, you copied the cluster_token.txt file, not created a new file in target folder and copied the contents from old one, right? (The file contents ends with a zero character, which most editors ignore.)

To be honest, I more or less just deleted the content in the file and then put the new content in the same file.

8 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@TapeKnot If you have it in the correct location, then also make sure that the file itself really is cluster_token.txt and NOT cluster_token.txt.txt. That has happened a few times to other people before. So make sure the filename is "cluster_token" saved as file type ".txt".

It seems the guide I found for creating the server had a typo in it, therefor it told me to rename the file cluster_token.txt, not to save the file as that. I fixed that name problem, and the server worked...or so I thought. Once the server loads up, some "socket error" keeps appearing in the console, and the game won't appear in the game lobby.

Here's the console info for both overworld and caves:

Overworld:

http://pastebin.com/G0Cqy47m

Caves:

http://pastebin.com/bbcZMzq6

The log says that it's loading version 180846. Currently, the most recent version is 181048. The client's server browser shows only servers with the same version. Updating the dedicated server should make it to be shown in the lobby again.

As for "Socket error: connect, 0" messages, I have no idea, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Muche said:

The log says that it's loading version 180846. Currently, the most recent version is 181048. The client's server browser shows only servers with the same version. Updating the dedicated server should make it to be shown in the lobby again.

As for "Socket error: connect, 0" messages, I have no idea, unfortunately.

Well, I don't currently know how to update the server, but if you can Muche, try to find out how on the guide I used to set the server up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590681995

One of the steps in the linked guide is to create update.bat that does the updating. Running it should update the server.
The key part in it is

cd C:\steamcmd\steamcmd
steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir C:\server +app_update 343050 validate +quit

Note that running it will revert the file C:\server\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua to the original one, so I'd recommend backing it up if you have edited it to add some mods to your server.

@TapeKnot How about you try the following:

if you are using Steam tools, go to Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin and right click dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Enable Run this program as administrator > Press Apply > Then Ok.

If you are using Steamcmd, go to Steamcmd\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin and right click dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Enable Run this program as administrator > Press Apply > Then Ok.

After that, try and start the server up again. If that doesn't work, can you confirm which method you are using, Steam Tools or SteamCMD?

Thank you for trying Zillvr, but the server still doesn't seem to be working. I am using Steam CMD for this program, by the way. When launching the server up, the same message from my other post is till stated. I might just try to delete this server, and download everything again...

@TapeKnot what I meant to say was can you attach the server.ini's under the Master and Caves folder into this thread? I'm thinking the reason the dedicated server outputs SOCKET_PORT_ALREADY_IN_USE is possibly due to your server.ini's using the same server port. So again can you attach your server.ini's from under the Master and Caves folder into your next reply so we can inspect it?

I added code into the server.ini's, and...It still will not work. I opened up the files "start" and "start 2", which are the files needed to launch the server, and then 2 more files open up. start and start 2 say nothing in their logs, while the other 2 files that launched do the launching instead. The overworld log works fine, but the caves log says that a socket port is STILL occupied.

Here's the log for the overworld:

http://pastebin.com/4PBrjaZT

@TapeKnot based on the guide you are following, you should only have the following inside:

• Inside the start.bat, should only have the following line and nothing else:
dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
  • Inside the start2.bat, should only have the following line and nothing else:
dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Can you confirm that? Also these two .bat files should be beside the dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe file under C:\Server\bin, IF you are following the guide to the letter.

Btw, the logs you attached is the caves' log.

6 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@TapeKnot based on the guide you are following, you should only have the following inside:

• Inside the start.bat, should only have the following line and nothing else:

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
  • Inside the start2.bat, should only have the following line and nothing else:

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Can you confirm that? Also these two .bat files should be beside the dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe file under C:\Server\bin, IF you are following the guide to the letter.

And yes, start and start2 are in the same folder as dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer. Still isn't working...

I added this for the Master folder (Overworld):

[NETWORK]
server_port = 10999

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 12346
authentication_port = 12345

And this for the Caves folder (Caves):

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 12348
authentication_port = 12347

@TapeKnot have you attempted to fully drop/disable the firewall and see if it works then? If that doesn't work, revert back to the default ports used by DST. Which would be:

For the overworld or Master folder's server.ini:

Spoiler

[NETWORK]
server_port = 10999

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 12346
authentication_port = 12345

For the caves or Caves folder's server.ini:

Spoiler

[NETWORK]
server_port = 10998

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 12348
authentication_port = 12347

If that still doesn't work, attach the server_log.txt files of your master and caves folder, there might be something new in the logs you aren't noticing.

Archived