Creating an autonumous character with AI

Hi to you all.

I'm a MSc student and I'm currently searching for a topic to work on my dissertation. Since I love Don't Starve and my favorite area in Computer Science is Artificial intelligence I thought "Why not combine both?".

The general idea is to create an autonomous character that will play the game along side with human players. Building stuff and collaboration you or simply making your life harder by stealing resources from you and attacking you.

I'm very new to modding (just started) and I need to understand if this is possible.
My problem is, do the available functionalities in modding provide enough capabilities to accomplish this? For example, is it possible to have a character interact with a science machine and build a chest?

Do any of the advanced modders can give me a tip? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Fábio

• Developer

In short, yes, mods can do basically anything the base game can do. In addition, the current brains and stategraphs that our creatures use are detached from the game logic for locomotion, animation, etc. so it should be possible to fully implement your own AI and ignore our utilities entirely if you choose. :)